1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Cycling with raw shrimp???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jtown, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Jtown

Jtown Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So ive read several different ways to cycle a tank and im trying the raw shrimp thing. Anybody ever attempted this? Seems fairly simple and makes sense as i guess you just need something to release ammonia and a decaying shrimp will do the trick.  I dont want to put any nemos in harms way or stress them out so will only cycle fishless but wanted to get the cycle moving asap. 
    I put two raw shrimp in there sunday after salinity and temp stabilized and right away overnight HUGE ammonia spike! This morning tested for nitrite just for the heck of it and it actually read small amount ALREADY! wow that seems fast. Im still not going to rush anything but i am going to try something now to seewhat happens. I have one of the big bottles of Bio-spira that im going to dump in tonight to boost the good bacteria right away and see if this speeds thing up. Ive read several different ppl's methods on how to cycle a saltwater tank in less than a week and it sounds sketchy but when i cycled my biocube I just put 30lbs live rock, bag of live sand/arragonite and small bottle of that bio spira and after 5 days (no joke) i watched the ammonia spike and drop in two days and same with nitrite so by the 5th day it read zero ammonia and nitrite both so i added fish and have slowly stocked softies, lps and even a birdsnest that i got from Joel  (thanks Joel, ur frags are awesome!) that has several new white tips branching out and to this day havnt lost a thing. (knock on wood).
    ...No its not stock lighting or i wouldnt have sps in a biocube...
    I just realized im rambling so ill wrap it up... Point of the thread was to see if anybody has ever used this method and what to expect. Im not really sure how long to keep the shrimp in there because i dont want it producing crazy amounts of ammonia constanly do I? Should i maybe take one of them out so the bacteria can keep up with it and break it down faster than its producing or do I leave it to allow the bacteria to multiply and double the amount of bad bacteria?
    Any response is helpful as I said Im still new to the hobby but I read my a## off and soak up any knowledge ppl throw at me so i can turn around and help the next guy thats in my shoes one day. GIRS is actually been a huge help with me getting into the hobby. Everybody is super helpfull and its greatly appreciated! Thanks friends! lol
    [​IMG]

2. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Yea I've heard of the shrimp thing too, but only ever heard of people using one shrimp. You might want to take one out. Also, do you have a tank that is cycled? You could take a small amount of sand and water and put it in the new tank to speed it up. You could also ask any of your friends to save the water they take out for any upcoming water changes and use their water to do a water change on yours. That water already has the right salinity in it too, so no need to use salt!

3. coral_bandit

coral_bandit Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    isn't there a thing with your not supposed to put the two tank waters together because of disease or something?

4. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    If there is fish in the tank that's set up there shouldn't be any diseases. You can never be too sure I guess...