1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

cycling tank/water testing

Discussion in 'Cedar Rapids & Iowa City Region' started by Guest, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi!  My tank has been in the process of cycling with live sand, rock(not live) and a raw shrimp since March 1.  I've checked ammonia levels twice. (I'm working on the patience thing, not sure how often I should be testing)  Last TH. "I think" it was between 1.5 and 3 and today "I think" it was about 3. Not sure it's hard to tell.  So I'm hoping it's spiking now.  Does that sound about right?  and how long on average do you think it'll take until the ammonia level gets to zero.  Anyone whose down a similar cycling process who can tell me about how long I can expect it to take all in all?  Thanks!!!!!!!

2. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    at the minimum i would say about 3 weeks, thats about what it took mine this time. i know its hard the patience sucks but just gotta wait it out. Live rock will help some too.

3. calebjk Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    where did you get your rock? if it was lr that has dried out and has never been cycled then it could have a lot of dead stuff in it that needs to decompose yet.

4. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    A total cycle should take 5-8 weeks depending on many parameters. I congratulate Chris on 3 weeks but don't plan on it. Cycle products can help as well as seasoned live sand and live rock. The patience thing is the most important thing at this time plan on 8 weeks. If it goes quicker great! Don't be impatient it will cost you or worse yet your fish.

5. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My 30g QT tank cycled in 2 weeks with about 1lb of live sand from my main tank and a pouch of biospira. It started with about 20ppm of ammonia in it /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gif What I noticed this time is that one day my readings would be off the chart and the next day it'd be down to zero. So just test every couple of days. I'd say average cycling time with a good bacteria source should be 4-6 weeks. Good luck!

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    the rock had been in a tank that went through the flood so it would had already cycled/DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/angry.gif so everything else was lost, but the rock was saved and bleached clean.  Do I need to watch for/do anything in particular with the dead stuff/decomposing or would the bleach have taken care of that? 

7. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    How long has the rock cured since the bleaching?

8. rc1214b

rc1214b

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just to clarify, the rock was soaked in a bleach solution after being removed from the dead tank, it's neither cured or uncured rock. You should be close to having your NO2 spike by now. Once you see that NO2 is zero do a 10 gallon water change and add your cleanup crew. They will produce waste in your tank while the rock continues to re-establish itself. BTW, now you can hookup your skimmer to help remove waste. I'll get you a piece of cured lr to help establish the microfauna in your rock and introduce coralline algae. I'd say by spring break do 1 more 10 gallon water change and add a fish...

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks rc:)  Yep I checked Sunday and my NO2 is spiking now and my ammonia is down to 0.  Gotta question about timing of things.  I've got some bad timing coming up as I'll be leaving this Friday for Spring Break and won't be back until March 29th.  Should I try and do my water change/add cleanup crew this week before I leave (if NO2 is zero by then) or would it be ok to wait till I get back?

10. rc1214b

rc1214b

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Didn't you get the memo on never being able to go on a vacation while owning a saltwater tank? If it's 0 before you leave I'd try to get the crew in before you go. If not it's ok too.

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Nope, must've missed that one!! Nitrite is still really high darn it, so I don't think it'll be to zero by the time I leave Friday.  Tank ended up having a small leak so have been having to top it off every couple of days.  Had to take out some water last night to fix up the leak and had to turn off the pump for a couple days while the silicone dries now before can fill it up again.  It scares me having the pump off, but hopefully it won't mess everything up!!  So, probably do the water change right before I leave and wait on the clean-up crew until after break.  I'm hoping it won't need so much topping off over break too, don't remember my tank needing that much top off, once a week wasn't it??  I think I'll have my parents come over and check on it a couple of times (they owe me for all the times I watered their plants when they were on vacation!!!)

12. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My 30 gallon hospital tank loses a liter a day, the 120 display probably loses 2 gallons! Amazing how much water evaporation there is

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So far so good, leak might be fixed!  How long should I expect my nitrite to spike for?  It's still really high and has been for almost 2 weeks now.  I'm just getting anxious, am hoping to be able to start getting some critters in there when I get back from spring break. 

14. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  15. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Thanks for the graph!  That is very helpful!!  It makes me feel better that my nitrite is still so high then, I was afraid I'd done something wrong.  Thanks again!!!!!!!!!

16. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Nope, your tank sounds about right. Waiting is just something you have to deal with in this hobby. Trust me, not waiting is the worst thing you can do, and if you're impatient like me, you'll learn that the hard way /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gif

17. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Good news!  I got home last night and checked my water and everything is ready!!!!!!!!  Cycling is finally finished, so thank goodness I must have done something right.  I'm very excited to actually start putting things into it now this week.[​IMG]  I've already gotten good advice on here about moving slow, not putting too much in at once.  Thanks again everyone for all your help.   
    You don't know how badly I wanted to grab some coral, seahorses, fish , etc. I saw scuba diving in Puerta Vallarta last week, but  I held off.  It was beautifull though, even saw sting rays, an octopus inked at us,  an eel, held a puffer fish and a starfish. [​IMG]  Now it's time to start creating my own ocean back here in snowy Iowa!!!!!!!!!! brrrrrr

18. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That is pretty exciting. How big is your tank? And what do you plan on starting with?

19. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It's a 29 gallon tank.  I'm thinking starting with some crabs, then I would also like 2 clownfish and 1-2 other fish(not sure which kinds yet for sure), a couple tubeworms, a cleaner shrimp, and of course coral.  I'm not sure which order is best to add things in.  Any advice would be very helpful.  Thanks!

20. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I say put the messiest things in first, the fish /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif That way if you do have ammonia problems you won't be killing your coral!