1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Cycling Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MantisLvr, May 24, 2016.

1. Fishunt Nano Nano

Norwalk
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    There should be enough of all the different bacterial species on that 'mature' wheel. This is exactly how I 'seeded' the last of my old 20g when I broke down my 75. Worked much quicker than the two previous tanks I set up with new wheels.

2. MantisLvr

Iowa
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Will the seeded wheels bacteria consume the nitrite that is still in there or should I add some live bacteria as well?

3. mattman319 SoManyTanks

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +93 / 0 / -0
    I have two powerheads, one on each side, constantly running to keep a circular rotation of water movement. About once a week I have to use a mag float to remove algae from the glass. And about once a month I remove the pvc and scrub and rinse in super hot water to clean off. I dry them off and throw them back in. Those magnum filters are awesome for this application and many more. And depending on how much I feed, which is quite a bit, the cartridge lasts between 5 and 7 days. I feed 3 cubes a day of mysis and 1 sheet of seaweed a day.

4. mattman319 SoManyTanks

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +93 / 0 / -0
    Using already established water is the shortcut. There really is no cycle. This is how I have started all my tanks. And at the moment I have 4 running. 180, 90, 55 and the 60 quarantine. All reefs.

5. MantisLvr

Iowa
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    So let me see if I am understanding correctly. Either I use some of my 40s tank water to reduce nitrites more along with established bio wheel or use bio wheel and some live bacteria?

6. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    Don't even bother with the water. Just move the wheel over and be done with it. Bacteria needs surace area to colonize. Like your wheel or rock or sand or something like that. Very little in water.
    I cycle tanks in 8-10 days by adding a piece or 2 of rock from one of my established tanks.

7. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Algae would be the least of my worries in a QT

8. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Honestly thinking about it, some algae may actually be good in a QT tank for new fish. Especially any herbivores.

9. MantisLvr

Iowa
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    After deciding what to do I took the advice of adding live rock. I added 10 pounds to my 29 QT tank and within 3 days it was cycled. Thank you all for the feed back. Will be adding fish soon very excited!!!:lol::roflmao:

10. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0