1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

cycle question.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Philby, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    *Duble post from RC*
    I tested my water last night and got 0 for both Ammo and trites and somewhere between 2-5 for trates.
    I only added LR about 2 weeks ago, so I can't believe that my cycle would already be done??
    My initial thought when I got 0's on the first 2 tests was that since I wasn't checking salinity daily when the LR was in my garage and wasn't watching temp once I got the LR into the display (probably flucuated between 70-80) that perhaps I hadn't sustained an environment to facilitate a cycle - but then why would there be any trites??
    Anyone got any ideas? Did my cycle just happen really fast?
    I don't have my lights hooked up yet but I haven't really had any major diatom blooms (either the brown or the green) that everyone talks about.

2. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If you rock was in saltwater, even if the salinity was jacked up, it was likely sustaning a fair amount of bacteria on its surfaces. However, as soon as you start to increase your tanks bioload you will likely see a little bit of an out break from the increase until the bacteria can increase to keep up.
    I would still likely give it just a little more time before you start adding anything. Maybe throw in a few snails and crabs to add a little bioload and cleanup crew.

3. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I know it is about time to add a CUC - but what are they going to eat?? I don't have any algae and I have a little detritus, but it's mostly LR rubble from when I was aquascaping not fish poo...
    I was waiting for a diatom bloom to add the CUC, but maybe I'll just go ahead and get some anyway.

4. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Philby on 12/11/2007 10:02 AM
    I know it is about time to add a CUC - but what are they going to eat?? I don't have any algae and I have a little detritus, but it's mostly LR rubble from when I was aquascaping not fish poo...
    I was waiting for a diatom bloom to add the CUC, but maybe I'll just go ahead and get some anyway.
    If they have nothing to eat add a little food. What they dont eat right away they will eat as it starts to rot. I just would not take off adding coral or sensitive fish right away.

5. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Cycle times will vary depending on the tank. I know my latest tank had a small cycle and it never had high levels of ammonia or nitrite during the first month. It's better to be safe at this point and wait. If you can't, I'll look the other way while you're adding xenia and damsels to your tank. /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif J/K. I really do hope you wait a couple more weeks before adding anything.

6. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I hadn't planned on adding any fish to my tank until the last week of December (when I have some time off work and can actually get some shipments!). That would be about the 4-5 week mark for both my clowns in QT and LR added to my base rock.

Maybe I'll find a day next week that I can take a half day off work - get home around 11:30 in time to acclimate a shipment of snails and drop them in the tank.

7. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Phil, when are you gonna order fish?

8. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Philby on 12/11/2007 12:54 PM
    I hadn't planned on adding any fish to my tank until the last week of December (when I have some time off work and can actually get some shipments!). That would be about the 4-5 week mark for both my clowns in QT and LR added to my base rock.
    Maybe I'll find a day next week that I can take a half day off work - get home around 11:30 in time to acclimate a shipment of snails and drop them in the tank.
    Thats a good plan. It pains me to see people rush a tank and then fight with it while the livestock is trying to deal with the stress of the move.

9. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wayne - I was actually on my way to the DM area forum to post a thread to see if anyone else wanted to get in on a group buy. Do you need some lion food?? /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

Billy - I am definitely taking everything VERY slowly with this tank. I know lots of people that don't QT at all, and I'm QTing captive bred clowns for a month! I will definitely be a cautious reefer! It's taken me 2 years to get to this point, I think I can wait another couple weeks...

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    JUst my opinion,   but the ANN   cycle  as we know produces the bacteria that converts amonia to nitrite to nitrate, the ammount of bacteria in the tank depends on the ammount of ammonia that started it. In order to be a cycle it has to have amonia, I used Damsels to start mine,
    and the cycle took around 30 days, but you have to remember the amount of bacteria related back to  the ammount that started it, so if you had a real light cycle then added some fish that were not tolerant to amonia you could get a spike as the ANN cycle increases it bacteria count. In my opinion if you did not see 3 to 7 amonia then a spike in nitrite, the you MAY have a issue.
    Damsels are cheap  add a few and see what happens.  then increase your live stock slowley, waiting 3 weeks or so between modest additions.
    I waited 3 months before i added any corals. it was painful  and cost more for shipping but smaller orders and waiting just to see in my opinion is the best.
    The ANN cycle takes around 30 days it can be shortened with the addition of bacteria but at a price.
    patience in this hobby is either practiced or learned.
    I'm not wanting to sound like nervious nelly , just be careful check what happens when you add some cheap fish, Don't get a 100.00 purple tang to see how you cycle went.
    Let us know how it goes

11. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well I already have some clowns in QT, and I know they're hardy (member of the damsel family after all) so if I've already experienced a mini-cycle I will add them in a week or two and monitor Ammo and trites closely and if they spike I can always move them back to the QT which I know is cycled.

Thanks for the explanation knoxvilleia - I didn't know that low ammo to begin with could lead to a smaller cycle, but that would make sense because I only added @5 lbs of LR to my 50 lbs of base rock. However I don't know how high my Ammo spiked because I didn't measure any parameters for the first 2 weeks of my cycle...and I was expecting my Ammo to be very low, but my trites high - when they were also 0 that's what confused me...

and you don't sound like nervous nelly - I would much rather understand why something is working the way it is than just assume it's correct and move forward...