1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Cyano

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mary, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Mary

Mary Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Now that the hair algae is gone i have an out break of cyano.  sigh...  i have adjusted my light cycle down but it still comes back.  my question is could  my metal halide bulb need replacing and so is affecting par?  The bulb is 16 months old and i thought it was rated for 18 month replacement.  i have been very careful in feeding.
    Thanks
    mary

2. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0

Hey Mary,

Cyano is a bacteria that can be a pain to control.

Main thing is to cover the basics, good water flow, good water parameters.

What I usually do that works well for me is to turn off the lights completely for a couple of days.  I have been doing this for a couple of months & it has really kept my cyano in check.

Also if you can vacuum out as much as you can before you do that it will help even more.

GL

Craig

3. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Good advice. I did this on accident when I put my lights on manual control and found the same results. It really helps to break the cycle and stunt it for a while.

I'm not an advocate of using chemicals to fix problems like this, but I did hear good things about Chemi Clean.

--AJ

4. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have had a terrible cyano problem before and used the chemi clean. I works great, after about 3 days the cyano is completely gone. It didn't hurt my corals, but did pretty much stop the growth for a while.

I think bad lighting helps the cyano grow faster, so a good start would replace the bulbs, do a few larger water changes, and leave the lights off for a few days. like Craig said.

5. Mary

Mary Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks everyone. i 'll try daily water changes,bulb change and lights out. :)

On water changes do you feel small daily ones are better than doing larger changes? Overall change volume is probably the same but I know there are couple of different "takes" on it.

Mary

6. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I agree with the fellas on this issue. Definitely, get those bulbs changed out and start doing some water changes. I never change out more than 10% at a time. Some do larger less frequent water changes, however, i feel smaller more frequent changes have less of an impact on the balance of the water chemistry.

As far as chemi-clean goes, i have used it before and it worked like a charm, but i have heard of entire tanks being wiped out by using it as well. I would say do anything possible to avoid using chemicals if possible.

Let us know how it goes.

BTW, how big of tank are we talking about? How about flow in the tank itself?  Do you ever test for nitrates or phosphates?

7. Mary

Mary Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah i would prefer to avoid chemicals. i do weekly 5 gallon water changes My tank is a 29 ga nano. Yes do weekly tests . i do run carbon and phosban.

Son keeps bugging me to get a bigger tank ( ie. 125 ga) rofl but i would prefer to have a few small ones. ;-) he has a 75 ga.. i am going to get another nano as they are easier to 'place' lol..

i've had this tank for 18 months and just recently moved it to ia from wi.
    Mary

8. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Here is a good thread about Cyano. Causes and cures.

http://www.reefaquariumguide.com/forum/nuisance-algae/98214-red-slime-cyano-causes-cures.html

9. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Mary, One thing that wasn't mentioned is to step up your skimming. What skimmer are you using? Set it on the wet side to pull more skim out.

10. Mary

Mary Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Rick, I am using the stock skimmer. I usually skim pretty dry but will adjust my settings. Thank you Mary