1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Advice? Tank Build! Current USA Orbit Marine LED

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by isufishtank, Jan 15, 2019.

1. isufishtank

Ames, IA
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Hello everyone! I am putting together my first reef tank and need advice on lighting. The tank is a 20g long (30x12x12 approx). Currently it is a FOWLR system but I am planning on adding corals, mostly softies and LPS but I'd love some SPS eventually. Right now I have 2 Current USA Orbit Marine LED lights and I am would love some opinions on whether this setup is powerful enough and provides the correct spectrum for coral growth. The first image shows the specs per Current USA and the second image shows measured specs from online. The online review notes that the light is best used for a FOWLR tank, however keep in mind that I have 2 lights! Any input is greatly appreciated, thank :)

Attached Files:

2. Fred

Johnston, IA
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0

E01D1F0D-9437-4D6E-AAC9-1C955E361A53.jpeg
    I had one of those lights on a 20 gal tall. Tank ran fine for 18 months then I went with bigger tank. I only have like one pic from that tank and this was towards the beginning of that tank. All softies and and lps. Never had any crazy growth but polyps always extended and I always thought it was an ok light for the price. This was awhile back too but I remember that light being fully controllable but I use one of the preset schedules. I know it ramped up and down for dusk to dawn but was at 100% for blues and whites for most of the day.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  3. Waterrat41 Addicted Reefer GIRS Member

Des moines
    Ratings:
    +147 / 1 / -0
    I have one on my 90 and it would barely register on the PAR meter. Also my Ramp Timer would not keep accurate time so I had to constantly reset it. I bought 2 LED drivers that I could control with my Apex and I use it just for Dusk, Dawn and Moonlighting, I have Kessils and T5s for main lighting....other than that after 5 years most of the leds still work in it.

4. isufishtank

Ames, IA
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    UPDATE:
    I have discovered that one of my lights is a DISCONTINUED gen 2 Current USA light that is purportedly much more powerful than I thought, PAR specs and spectrum in images! How do you think that will do in a 20g? :)

Capture3.PNG

Orbit-Marine-PRO-Wavelength.jpg

5. Fred

Johnston, IA
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    I think you’ll be good with those lights.

6. You should consider joining the club. As a GIRS member you would be able to borrow the club par meter to take your own par measurements in your tank, among other member benefits.