1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Advice? Crud in salt mixing container

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JDCpuWiz, Feb 6, 2016.

1. JDCpuWiz

Jesup, Ia
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
    wondering if anyone else has this same issue. I am using 2 60 gal containers that I bought at Theisens for my RODI and salt mixing tanks. When I am ready to mix salt water I pump from RODI container to the mixing container, add salt, circulate, heat etc. after water change there is a few gal of water left in the mixing container. I just cleaned the container out about a month ago, have done a couple water changes since. I looked in the container yesterday and the bottom is covered with a light brown coating as well as the heater. I assume it is algae but how do I avoid this. I don't want to mix in their again and put that into my DT.

2. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    shouldn't be algae. Its just residue from the salt mix. Pretty normal for the most part. Doesn't effect anything.

3. JDCpuWiz

Jesup, Ia
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    I use reef crystals. Is there more or less of this residue with other brands? How does reef crystals compare?

4. klmule Well-Known ReefKeeper

Belle Plaine
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Talk to Donny(armydog) about the salt he uses. Bio-marine salt from aquacraft. I have done some research on this and from what i have read it doesn't have this residue. I plan on switching to this once my reef crystals are gone.

5. MadManMadrid Well-Known ReefKeeper

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +158 / 4 / -0
    I can tell you the bio-sea salt doesn't leave any residue behind. It mixes really really clean and really fast. And the parameters are always pretty consistent box to box.

6. JDCpuWiz

Jesup, Ia
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Where is the best place to order it from?

7. scottlittle

Altoona
    Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Boi-sea doesn't leave any in mine. Also if you are going to change salts I would switch over a period of time and not all at once. I did it over a 4 week time frame.

8. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Reef crystals is probably one of the worse for leaving residue

9. JDCpuWiz

Jesup, Ia
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    I could change it over a month or so no problem. I have several bags of reef crystals left though. Can anyone tell me where the best place to order bio-sea? Doesnt look like BRS has it

10. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    It is an anti clumping additive that instant ocean and reef crystals use

• Like Like x 1
    • Ninja'd Ninja'd x 1
    • Noteworthy! Noteworthy! x 1
    • List
  11. KirklinsClownfish Well-Known ReefKeeper

Robins Ia
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I use Reef crystals as well yes there is a residue. I just scrub my Rubbermaid 32 gallon tub with vinegar once a month and rinse it out. Your setup is sweet and I definitely would switch instead of taking it all apart.

12. KirklinsClownfish Well-Known ReefKeeper

Robins Ia
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I had a question...I as well have a 120 Gallon spray land holding tank. (RO water) Should I put any conditioner in this...or rinse out once a year. It is under my steps in basement out of any sunlight.

13. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +397 / 6 / -0
    I basically just ignore the residue and it's never hurt a thing. Have only rinsed out the container once in two years.

14. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    ^ this. Just clean it out occasionally.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. KirklinsClownfish Well-Known ReefKeeper

Robins Ia
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Ok. Thanks guys.

16. scottlittle

Altoona
    Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    @Armydog@Armydog sells it I personally have noticed a large change in my Coral since I changed over to bio-sea Marine. I'm very happy with the product. As each tank is different, one has to choose for himself what is best for there tank.

17. Waterrat41 Addicted Reefer GIRS Member

Des moines
    Ratings:
    +147 / 1 / -0
    I always thought it was(and still think it might be) minerals precipitating out of the mix. What I did was as soon as I was done with my water change I refill the container with RODI, leave the mixing powerhead on and use it as top off water during the week. I have noticed the container stays clean and my calcium has gone up about 20ppm since I started this....running reef crystals.

18. klmule Well-Known ReefKeeper

Belle Plaine
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Talk to armydog. He sells it. Has quite a bit of it and was willing to work with me as to picking it up or bringing it to the business meeting. Like I said I will be switching.

19. Placid

Norwalk, IA
    Ratings:
    +60 / 2 / -0
    This is caused by a few things, very hard to tell without lab testing but here are a few. Water clarifier, these calrifiers are found in most synthetic or ocean harvested brands. Instant ocean also uses chlorine pure products that also remove any excess chlorine. This residue can be effects chlorine pure is having on the minerals within the existing water or salt mix. Last but least I'm familiar with and most over looked is bicarbonate breaking down into carbonate. I picked up a reefing magazine while I was shopping at saltwater studios in St.Louis and read an very interesting article about salts, water mixes with pros and cons of each brand. This article advised to use the newly mixed saltwater within 2 hours of mixing to confirm all minerals are used within the salt as this sludge can pull base minerals from the saltwater mix.

20. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    I read something similar. But it was specifically about Aqua Vitro Salinity salt mix. It is recommended to only mix for 2 to 3 hours in an unheated container then use. Otherwise stuff precipitates out.
    I experienced this. Lots of residue and low Alk Cal and Mag. Didn't test for anything else.
    Now I mix a batch for 2-3 hours and shut mixing pumps off. Mixed saltwater sits in barrel and is used with my auto water changer at 3 gallons a day.
    I just clean barrels periodically. No problems.