1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

crashed tank....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by snowman82, Jan 2, 2009.

1. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hi,
    i'm new here and this is my first post so i'll fill ya in a bit.  i had a 55 gallon been goin for about a year.  had some soft corals, good coraline algae growing, seemed like my tank was doing quite well.  had a new years party....sumone decided my tropical fish needed a tropical drink and decided to put a cup of jungle juice in it.  needless to say the whole tank crashed and killed everything and i have to start out from scratch....  so here i am.  i am scrapping the 55 and thinking of doing a bigger tank, mainly cause i have been wanting a bigger one anyways and what better time than now.  my questions for you are.
    is a R O system worth the money?
    What would you suggest for a place to get a 125 tank.  i priced them at iowa pet foods for 750, but i dont need half the stuff.
    has anyone tried the retrofit HQI lights?  i have T5's now and really dont want to have to get a 72" setup
    how much more does it cost for a reef ready tank, than just a normal tank?
    thats mainly it, so i think my tank, lights and cascade cannister might be for sale in a few.
    Thanks,
    Chris

2. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    You might want to consider keeping your 55 for a sump/refugium.
    Good Luck and Welcome to GIRS!
    -JB

3. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the info

as far as the HQI i have no preference, i just want as much light as possible, i dont want to be limited to what i can have because of my lighting.

I can build a tank, thats not problem, and i probably would anyways cause i dont like how some of them look, i like a little customization.

I've been checking out craigslist and such looking for a tank, i have no problem driving a few hours to get one if it'll save me some money.

Thanks

4. Steph & Nick

Steph & Nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    welcome...sorry to hear about the tank. i think you will find lots of help in this group on your tank build.

glad you found our site. just curious, how did you find the site?

5. calebjk Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    JB gave you great advise, i agree with all of it. And i would only go with a reef ready tank, unless you get a nonRR tank and drill it, but it's nicer having the internal overflows in some most cases. either way, definitely avoid going with an external overflow.. if you get a tank that is not RR then order a diamond hole saw off of ebay and drill it. I started with an external overflow and regretted it untill the day i toar down the tank, drilled it, and set it back up.
    best of luck.
    ~caleb

6. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i actually first found the site on craigslist haha and then i was at petco at jordan creek one day talking to a kid and he told me about the sight too. Ya i think i'm goin to definatelly do a reef ready setup, i like the look of not haveing anything hanging in the back and stuff. my canister filter looked ok but still my heater and the the lines for the filter were still there and it was hard to make a top for it, which i never did finish /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/sad.gif so i'm keeping my ears open for a 125 now. iowa pet foods had one for 750. it was non-reef ready even. i think that is a little steep personally, it did come with stand and lights and glass top, but i wouldn't be able to use the lights or the top so not worth my money haha

7. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to GIRS... as a fairly new member as well this is a great place to learn and get great help and information. I have only been in the 'reef' tank hobby for 9-12 months and couldn't be happier with the help. FWIW right now I have a 90 gallon NOT reef ready tank and have found all its limitations so I am in the process of getting a 120 RR together, I have slowly been accumulating what I need for the tank. That said a reef ready tank is the way to go but it gets $$$. If you get a chance see about coming to a meeting in DSM they have been very helpful for me great place to ask questions.

8. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    cool thank you, right now my fiance and i are able to spend the money on the whole setup, but just dont want to shuck out the shop prices for a new tank so just waiting around for a good deal. when is the next meeting?

9. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Welcome Snowman! I assume you are from the Des Moines area? I am the Des Moines Trustee and will be planning some meetings soon as well as a frag swap at the zoo in March. We would love to have you join us for any of the events. This club will definately be the best resource you have to create a successful reef tank. Please ask all the questions that come to mind.
    You have gotten all the right answers here so far. The only thing I would add is t re-think the cannister filter if you haven't already. I assume since you are going RR that you are planning on having a sump. That is the way to go.
    Also, depending on when you want to get a tank they come up for sale on here or on Reef Central quite often. I found my 240 on Craigs list.

10. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Im ready for a tank whenever one pops up, we have enough money for a new one, but i would rather find a used one cheaper so i can get better lights haha. well hopefully by the time the frag swap comes up i'll have something goin to handle some little mushrooms or something :)

11. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hey, a word of warning about used tanks... 125's are a very popular size for both salt and freshwater tanks. If you're going to buy a used tank (especially if it's not a reef ready tank) you need to be aware that it might have been used for a freshwater tank and therefore might be contaminated with copper.

Many freshwater medications contain copper and that stuff is death for invertebrates in a saltwater tank.

-JB

12. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Hey JB,

I hadn't heard that before?? I know copper kills invertabrates, but what will the copper contaminate.> Not the glass, the silicone??

13. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, it can leach out of the silicone.

-JB

14. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    never thought about that before. but i think i might have one lined up soon. thanks for the information so far.

Chris

15. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just a opition, if you don't find a RR tank. There is club members that are able to drill tanks and make them RR.

16. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    well found me a reef ready tank, now the process of diving into an area of which i have no real educationin. Sump filtration.

what would be the best way to setup a sump system for a 125?

17. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    That kinda depends on your setup. You might want to start a new thread just for that subject that describes what you have to work with (space, etc).

-JB

18. Luukosian

Luukosian

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    As far as the sump I would use the 55 and set up a skimmer section, refugium section, and return section with appropriate bubble traps(3 panes of glass staggered to stop bubbles). Set up skimmer in the first section, put some chaeto  and possibly deep sand bed in fuge section then a pretty good sized pump in the return section. Throw a light over the fuge section and your good to go except plumbing.