1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

CR/IC DIY reef food meeting Sat. June 13, 2pm - 4pm

Discussion in 'Cedar Rapids & Iowa City Region' started by CyberJester, Jun 1, 2009.

1. CyberJester

CyberJester Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    All,
    We are going to have the DIY food meeting on Saturday June 13, from 2pm - 4pm
    Now we need to pick a couple of recipes for the event so I can get ingredients ordered.
    If you have a recipe that you think all will enjoy or one that the corals or fishes go crazy over please use this thread to submit the recipes and discuss them.
    Thank you,
    Jeremy Orchuk
    GIRS CR/IC area trustee

2. mralanjones

mralanjones Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    where will this be held.

3. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have been looking throw the DIY food recipes. I would like to do JJ's http://www.greateriowareefsociety.org/Resources/IowaReefKeepersWiki/tabid/79/Default.aspx?topic=JJ%27s+Fish+and+Coral+Recipe

4. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Any chance I can get some without going to the meeting? I have a newborn who nurses constantly and going up to CR with him would be hard......

5. CyberJester

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By mralanjones on 06/01/2009 10:36 AM
    where will this be held.
    Unless a better option is presented we will be doing it at my house in my basement.  I live on the NE side of Cedar Rapids.

6. CyberJester

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By phishcrazee on 06/01/2009 12:30 PM
    Any chance I can get some without going to the meeting? I have a newborn who nurses constantly and going up to CR with him would be hard......
    Might be do-able, I would have to check with the BOD to see if we have any policies that govern this as it is a regionally sponsored event.  I will look into it and get back to you.

7. CyberJester

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    For the sake of easy discussion, I am posting JJ's recipe in this thread so everyone can view it and discuss weather they are interested or not.  Must note that JJ's tank was the "Tank of the Month" at reef central a few months back, which is no small thing to acheive. 
    Anyway here it is:
    Double-J's fish and coral food recipe

The cool part is it feeds corals, herbivores, carnivores, pods etc... Food ranging form microscopic to bigger chunks. On top of that it has selcon, garlic extract and, anti parasite stuff in the mix to keep your fish healthy
    6 -16 oz pkg mysis shrimp
    4 - 16 oz pkg krill
    10 - 16 oz mixed sea food (squid, mussel meat, octopus, clam etc.)
    1 - 16 oz pkg Cyclopzee
    2 - 3.5 oz pkg Mega Marine
    3 - 3.5 oz Ocean Plankton
    4 - 16 oz pkg srine shrimp
    3 - 4 oz pkg silversides
    2 - 8.8 oz pkg sally plankton
    1 - 10 oz pkg bloodworms
    1 - pkg brown marine algea strips
    2 - pkg green marine algae strips
    1 - pkg red marine algae strips
    1 -10 oz pkg New Line Spectrum Marine fish Formula
    1 - 2.5 oz pkg Blue Lagoon Anti-Parasite Marine Food
    1- 2 oz. pkg Formula Two pellets
    1 - 2 oz. pkg Formula One pellets
    3 - 1.5oz jars of Reef Chilli
    60ml of Selcon
    1 - 10 Fl oz bottle of Garlic Guard

8. CyberJester

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I just want to make a quick post on this.  From the looks of it, we will not be able to do this as a GIRS sponsored area event.
    AJ was kind enough to go do the leg work on this and get some pricing, to do one batch of JJ's food will take about 2 times the annual allowance for an area.
    Now it does look like it makes a lot, so most likely what I will do is order all the stuff and pay for it, I will tally up how much it will make in lbs, divide the total cost by the amount of lbs and come up with a price per pound.  then at the event will take payment for how much you want on a 1/2 lbs or 1 lbs basis.  We could offset the cost a bid with area budget.  But we are not yet even half way through the year, so I am not willing to spend our entire budget on this.
    Thanks,
    Jeremy Orchuk
    GIRS CR/IC area trustee

9. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Anyone got a old blender around? If someone is interested in donating an old blender for this, that would be great. I would hate to see someone use their main blender to make this food as it will probably smell like fish food for the rest of its useful life.

--AJ

10. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I have one that I can bring.

11. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    SWEET! Thanks B-Rad!

--AJ

12. CyberJester

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Could everyone who is planning on attending the DIY reef food please sign in here.  I am willing to foot the expense of the initial buy of this stuff.
    I just don't want to be stuck with 20 pounds of reef food that gets freezer burn that I have to throw away.
    So please just place a note that you are coming and how much you are interested in taking home (I will post the per 1/2 and full pound pricing tonight), or if you are not coming but would like to purchase 1/2 pound or full pound of it, please just sign up that you will not be attending but are interested in that much.  This will also give me an idea of weather we need to order enough for one batch or two, as much as I hate 2 have to spend the money to order the stuff for a double batch, if we are able to go through that much then I will order that much.
    Thank you,
    Jeremy Orchuk
    GIRS CR/IC area trustee

13. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Jeremy, I would say a 1/2 pound for me!

14. bobsfish

bobsfish Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I'll be there

15. CyberJester

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

OK, just to let everyone know, I bought just about everything last night, with the exception of the Cyclop-eeze, DFS was out of stock on that.  I am going to try to find some locally as getting the frozen stuff here by itself was just to expensive for shipping by itself.  I do think some of the local vendors sell "Cyclop" in cube 3.5 oz cube.  So I would just pick up 4 of those. 

Other then the Cyclop-eeze and bulk fish (clams, squid, etc...) I have ordered everything.  Not sure but the price is looking like about $20 lbs.  Know I said I would have it all up last night, but, by the time I finished ordering everything it was 1:30 am and I had a meeting first thing this morning.  Even then could not give a definitive price until I go to the grocery and pick up the raw seafood, I am estimating somewhere between $7.99 and $8.99 a pound for that stuff and we need 10 lbs of it.  I know that sounds like a lot, however, if you look at it as I did with the ingredient as I was ordering last night, you really are getting everything you need to feed the reef corals, inverts, fish, scavengers, anemones, all of it.  So if you look at it on that scale, it is more of a break even type of thing when using that instead of all the other combined products.
    I sure hope you people will show up to this as I have already spent a small fortune, the wife will kill me if I am left with 30 lbs of this.  As that would take up the entire freezer and I have spend a lot of cash.  So do a guy a favor, "show up and buy some food!".
    Thanks
    Jeremy Orchuk
    GIRS CR/IC Trustee

16. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Consider this...I normally buy cubes at between $4.50 and $6.00 per pack for about 3.5 oz.  That's between 1.28 and 1.71 per oz.  This comes out to 1.25 per ounce.  With this food, you don't have to worry about grabbing two or three different types of cubes to feed all of the inhabitants of your tank, it's giving you all of the variety that they will need in their diet so you don't have to remember to switch foods every so often, it's proven to produce excellent reef growth (just look at JJ's TOTM...say no more), has additives to encourage eating in even the most picky fish, color enhancing foods, anti-parasite and other extra vitamin enhancements, and it's less expensive than what we are already used to buying.  I don't see how anyone could pass this opportunity up.  I'll be there.

17. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I'm tenatively planning on coming.

18. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm going to try and come, either way I'd like to purchase about $20/$25 worth.

19. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I will be there. I will be buying probably a 1 lbs, unless I find some extra cash.

20. Steph & Nick

Steph & Nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am not sure if we will be able to be there, but we will buy a pound