1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Couple questions about Spring fest...

Discussion in 'News, Events & Fests' started by dougers31, Mar 12, 2020.

1. dougers31

Albert Lea, MN
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Just thinking out loud here but are you/we anticipating that the coronavirus will impact the event, and are steps being taken to help prevent potential transmission? Haven't heard if anyone in IA has been reported to have it but I know at least 3 or 4 in MN do, one of which is near Rochester. I myself am not worried as I think much of it is overblown but just curious on what action if any might be taken.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
  2. Dave Amelon GIRS Member

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +29 / 1 / -0
    Actually I believe there are 13 cases in Johnson County, Iowa. I was planning on going but it is still up in the air for me.

3. Greater Iowa Reef Society Become a GIRS Member! GIRS Member

Iowa
    Ratings:
    +154 / 0 / -0
    CEACich and GIRS want to ensure the safety of all Spring Fest vendors, administration, and attendees.

We are monitoring the COVID-19 outbreak, and currently there is NO risk of community spread in the Greater Des Moines area according to the Iowa Department of Health.

Spring fest is still scheduled for Sunday March 22 at the Iowa State Fairgrounds. We will keep you informed of ANY updates.

We will follow Iowa Department of Health guidelines and best practices to limit the spread of this virus. Please reach out with any questions or concerns

@GIRS Member

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2020
  4. CyFan CyFan

Cambridge
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Due to an over abundance of caution and the fact that I have underlying heath issues I unfortunately have decided not to attend the Spring Fest.

Has there been any discussion on postponing the Fest?

5. Greater Iowa Reef Society Become a GIRS Member! GIRS Member

Iowa
    Ratings:
    +154 / 0 / -0
    Yes, there has been discussion regarding postponing the Fest. Unfortunately we do not see any viable option for that at this point. We are currently waiting for further discussion with the State Fairgrounds, regarding our event for next Sunday.

6. Maureen Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0
    CDC just announced no gatherings of over 50 people.

7. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    We saw that announcement this afternoon also. We are talking with the Fairgrounds tomorrow to further clarify before we make a final announcement.

8. dougers31

Albert Lea, MN
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I'm curious if that was recommended or mandated...

9. From what I read, it's just a recommendation.

10. Waterrat41 Addicted Reefer GIRS Member

Des moines
    Ratings:
    +147 / 1 / -0
    It is currently a recommendation, but I believe the state of Iowa has mandated no gatherings over 250.

11. Rickyzoa New User

Davenport
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Just worried that even if it goes on.... how many patrons will show up to buy and trad . Im driving 3 hrs to setup and worried than only 50 people will show up...alot of time and effort and driving for possibly a deserted show...just my thoughts

12. dougers31

Albert Lea, MN
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    That's my concern too... that and today is my only full day off beforehand and there's a lot of prep to do if the show is still on... if it's not on it will be a waste of time.

13. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    Spring Fest has been cancelled

The following message was received this morning from the Fairgrounds:

Out of an abundance of caution for the people we serve, we respectfully comply with the order of the Governor, the City of Des Moines and recommendations by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) to limit social gatherings and therefore will be cancelling or postponing non-fairtime events on the Iowa State Fairgrounds until further notice. By doing this, we understand we can play a vital role in helping stop the spread of the COVID-19 virus and keep Iowans healthy and safe.

We will be getting the message to everyone involved - including vendors and hobbyists that had reserved a table for the event. Look for more details soon.

@GIRS Member

• Uh oh! Not good! Uh oh! Not good! x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  14. dougers31

Albert Lea, MN
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Bummer, but good to know.