1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Couple of ?`s

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SGM, Aug 13, 2009.

1. SGM

SGM Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    So I got my 8 gal bio cube going good.  I have a couple of ?'s once I give you the details.
    Currently in the tank.
    10lbs live rock
    rock with about 10 mushrooms on it
    There are 2 more  but cant remember the name. (Polyops I believe and some kind of yellowish green carpet look.)
    1 6 line wrasse
    1 clown
    1 cleaner shrimp
    1 porcelin crab
    2 snails
    I am seeing nice color and growth in the corals.
    ?'s I have is, my glass is getting a nice pink and green algae build up.  What is the best way to eliminate it so I dont always havet to clean the glass?  Is there besides more snails?
    With what is currently in the tank, I am doing a water change once a week about 30% is that enough?

2. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The pink could be coraline algae. Once it gets too tough with just a magfloat, you'll have to use more heavy duty cleaner like a old credit card to scrap it off.
    you're water changes are fine.

3. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    are you using an RO/DI unit for your water? by adding phosphates and TDS to your tank you will grow that stuff. if not having an RO unit i would definately get one especially since you plan on getting a bigger tank.

4. SGM

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    just tap water. I do have a ro di unit that I used for discus. I need to get new membranes for it though first.

Anybody know of where to get some at a good price?

5. Gered

Gered Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Try Air, Water, and Ice. I just put an order in with them for a few things to add on to my RO/DI which I got from them too. If you become a GIRS member you also get 10% off so being a member has payed off just through the savings through Air, Water, and Ice

6. SGM

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    What is domain for the web?

Also seeings salt is diffrent then fresh water. What do you guys recomend for cartridges for my RO DI?

7. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    http://www.airwaterice.com/
    Same membrane and cartridges, just get TDS to 0. You said RO/DI so I assume you have the required De-ionization cartridge. Of course you do, because you want 0 TDS for Discuss as well, and then add back buffers.

8. SGM

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Thanks!

I havent used my RO unit for over a year. And I know the cartridges need changed. All my pairs spawn in tap water. Of course I use some buffers and age the water for atleast 24 hours, if not longer.