1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Could use a hand getting set up :)

Discussion in 'Waterloo / Cedar Falls Area' started by findingnemo, Mar 26, 2009.

1. findingnemo

findingnemo Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have my 38 gal Biocube, live sand, and water! Is anyone available in the CF/Waterloo area who can help me get things up and running, possibly this weekend? I have zero experience and don't want to mess anything up! Also thinking of going to the coral swap to look around and gain some knowledge on the subject, although the tank isnt ready for coral yet.

Thanks much :)

Julia

2. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Hey Julia, welcome to the site.

The biocubes are pretty easy to set up. You have some RODI water I assume? How about some Live Rock?

There are a bunch of us in the area that will be happy to help you out.

Craig

3. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Yea just let me know what you need. I have a TON of extra stuff laying around. Where are you located in the CF/Waterloo area? I'm from Cedar Falls close to campus, if you're close I could bring some more R/O water, testing supplies, my refractometer or something and give my input. I have a couple pieces of flat live rock I wouldn't want much for, depending on the look you're going for. The rock is just sittin in my sump by the return pump because it won't fit in the rubble rock area, so it's kind of getting in the way.

Don't be shy, we're all here to help. It's good to have another reefer in the area:)

Adam

4. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Just thought of another idea- I'm about to do a water change soon here and I could always keep the water I take out for you to use. This water would have a ton of bacteria to get your tank going and it already has the right salinity! Let me know...

Adam

5. findingnemo

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would love any/all of your advice. I have ocean water from petco, and no live rock yet, just the sand. I live in Waverly, btw!

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated :)

Julia

6. Reefdumb

Reefdumb Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I live in Cedar Rapids area.  I plan on going to the swap Sat.  I'm sure if you talk to some more people in your area or CR, and you see something you can't live without, but don't have you tank ready they will babysit it for you.

7. findingnemo

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi- I dont have my Biocube set up yet and would like to get it started this weekend, so I'll have to see how everything coordinates. I am thinking about going to DM to hopefully earn a few things, but was hoping to catch a ride with others from the area. It's difficult when I've never met anyone from this group :)

Thanks for your reply!

8. DavidM199

DavidM199 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    well since u have the sand and water, fill the tank with sand first then put a bowl in the tank and pour the water into the bowl so it doesn't stir ip the sand to much. once you get the tank fillled gett a heater going in it and get it up to about 77-79. Turn your power heads on and get the water moving. If u are in need a some live rock I have some that I can sell you.

You can start your cycle without live rock but the rock with help speed the process up.

9. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    If your not comfortable with setting it up yourself I'm usually free most weekends and could probably stop up and help you out