1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

corals and ich

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by saltwaternewbee, Sep 26, 2008.

1. saltwaternewbee

saltwaternewbee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Not to beat a dead horse but...i need to make sure of this. Does the ich parisite travel on corals/live rock? We bought some very nice pieces and the tank they are in has ich at the moment...can we put them into the 220g with fish or should we put them in the 40g without fish for a couple weeks?

2. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I know it will live in sand for 6 weeks with no fish. I would err on the side of caution & put them in a fishless tank for at least 6 weeks. Patience is the hardest thing in this hobby but it may save you alot of fish & work in the future.

GL
    Craig

3. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ich eggs can be transported and carried on anything. I would highly suggest 6-8 weeks QT on the rock. It is either that or risk losing your fish and tearing your display tank apart.

4. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You could run an ultraviolet sterilizer with a very small pump so the water goes through nice and slow and that will kill any parasites that hatch and are in the water column.