1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Coralline Algae

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bobsfish, May 25, 2009.

1. bobsfish

bobsfish Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I'd like to get Coralline Algae to cover my rocks - I have one rock that is completely covered and a nice purple/pink - it had come from Bobo's - but, it's not spreading. Most of my other rock was dry to start and currently has no coraline. I have a couple bottles of Weiss Coral Boost that I got for free - was wondering if anyone has used that product with success to boost coraline growth. If not, what else can you suggest.

2. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What is your calcium at and what sort of lights do you have?

3. bobsfish

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I have 4x65 pcs. Calcium is in the 440 range - I have an API test kit, so I don't think it's the most accurate way to measure.
    This is a new tank - it's been running just-less than 2 months. Everything is cycled / stable - I have 1 waving hand that's growing like crazy and a few kenya trees and a cleanup crew of snails and hermits.

4. Jtown

Jtown Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Keep your calcium levels between 420-450 and buy yourself some "Purple Up" made by CaribSea. Stuff works great and maintains calcium real nice. Some may say u need more lighting and might be true but in my 29g biocube I have 4x36w pcs and when I added the LR a few months ago it had a few little spots here and there, dosed as directed daily from day one and now every inch is literally 100% covered with purples and pinks and looks absolutely awsome! Time is your biggest enemy right now but like i said, only took a few months for me so id recommend the product.

Let us know how it goes....

5. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    I find coralline Algae grows best for me under the type of lighting you have. +1 on the purple up it works sweet you could also try Marc Wess coral vital it works great to.

6. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just be patient I would say. Have you had the rock with the coraline in your tank for the full two months? I had a rock with tons of coraline in my tank at the start and it has been around 3 months. I didn't really notice any spread at all until maybe 3-4 weeks ago and it is going pretty rapidly IMO. I also use the API test kit and think it is just fine for calcium. I have compared with salifert at a local lfs and they were within 20 ppm of each other, which I think is plenty good enough for a test like calcium levels. I also recently got an emerald crab which loves to pick at the coraline. I think that may help release spores and help it spread along the tank because I have seen rapid growth since then. It could just be wishful thinking on the crab though.

7. bobsfish

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    The rock that has the coraline algae has been in the tank the entire 2 months, but it did not have coraline when I put it in there. The coraline just showed up within the last couple weeks. I'm not sure what started the coraline because I haven't added anything to the tank....but, it must have just come in on the rock. I'll try adding in the Marc Weiss product and see how that goes. I've heard of Purple Up, but since I already have the Weiss stuff, I'll give it a try.

8. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    If the coralline "just showed up in the last couple of weeks", then you are on your way.
    My tanks will typically have a time delay before the coralline explodes, as others have noticed.
    Give it time.
    Someone once said:
    "Nothing good happens fast in a reef".
    -Eric