1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

coral search

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by XxxTakxxX, Jun 13, 2009.

1. XxxTakxxX

XxxTakxxX Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've been told that softies are the way to start. Since I am not sure where to look for the different types and color combos I would like to ask anyone willing to post some pics of their softies with the name so I know what I am looking at. That or if anyone has some good links that can show me the pics and names. Thanks

2. vikubz Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Go to reefcentral.com and check out the photo gallery. There are tons of pics of people's tanks and there's a section devoted to soft coral tanks. Also if you go to a site like liveaquaria.com or other online retailer they will have pics of different corals as well as a brief description of their requirements. A good site for general reef pics is melevsreef.com. There is a great ID page.

hth,
    Mark

3. XxxTakxxX

XxxTakxxX Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    is frogspawn bad to start with? I love the way it looks but everyone keeps telling me that I should start out with some ricordias or something like that

4. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Theres nothing wrong w/ starting off with frogspawn..........it does give you a little sting if you make contact with it, and it will sting nearby corals, so just be careful where you put it and wear gloves when you handle it.  What sort of lights do you have?

5. XxxTakxxX

XxxTakxxX Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i actually dont have lights, my tank doesnt even have water in it. I'm gathering information so i know as much ahead of time as possible. Since you ask about lights what would you recommend sicne I want a mixture of ricordias, zoanthids, and frogspawn.

6. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    The only thing that makes frogspawn a bit more difficult is that it's a stony coral (LPS) so it has a few more requirements than the average softie. Overall, I don't think it's that hard of a coral, but it will need light and as phishcrazee mentioned, space so it doesn't sting other corals...

-JB

7. XxxTakxxX

XxxTakxxX Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    the other coral i am interested in is ricordias. is it ok to buy a "pack" to get various colors or am i better off to find local people that i can buy select ones off of around my town?

8. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    You should talk to Phathead.. He's the ric king.

-JB

9. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Go local for sure, if you can, than buy at the lfs. You can get some good deals on ebay as well. I would go with T5's or compact fluorescents. It really depends on the depth of your tank, your budget, and if you think you may want to upgrade later on I'd go with T5's to start off with-will give you more wiggle room for coral selection.