1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Coral Feeding

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Troy, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
       I have a 72 bow front, about 80 lbs of live rock.  I have a  aqua light pro, with two 150w HQ, and two 65w atinics. I have a stage 2 mega flow sump, with a small regu in it.  I also run a Pen Plex canister filter just for my own peace of mind.  I have a 18w uv Turbow Twist, and a Bak Pak protein skimmer.  I do water changes about every two week, and always have pretty good water test.  
       I have a Hammer Coral, a Leather Devils Hand, Toad Stool, Kenya Tree,, two different kinds of Palsating Xenias, a Red Chili Spong, a few groups of Button Polyps, and one large Seabay Anemones. I have one Yellow Tang, three clown fish, to Damsils, a Royal Gramma, a Lawn Mower Blenny, a Fire Golby, a Green Mandarinfish, and two Engineer Gobys. 
      Now what I was hoping to find out is some coral feeding tips.  I have been trying corals for about two years now.  Everytime I start to think everything is under control, I start to lose things.  I currently am feeding DT, Marine Snow, Coral-Vite, Tech-I, and have a Kalkwasser drip.  If anyone has some ideas of what I could be doing to help better this. I would be very appreciated. Thanks

2. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well, I don't know about the anemone but the rest of your corals should be fine without any extra feeding.  I believe that most reefers will say not to add lots of extra stuff to your tank.  That being said, I have quite a few LPS corals and I do individually feed them at least twice a week (acans, duncans, dendros,chalice,etc).   I also have two nice colony's of hammer and I've shot them a time or two with my Rods/mysis/cyclopeeze mixture that I feed my corals with and I Guess they do eat it but I don't think they exactly need the extra food.  I thought DT's was more for feather dusters and clam type things and can muck up your water if overused.    Now the calcium in another matter and all corals need that, but some more than others( the softies aren't as dependent on higher calcium levels.)  The other addiitves you mentioned probably aren't a bad thing if you use them as directed but not neccesary if you do regular water changes.   Just my 2 cents.

3. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Good points, Robyn! /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

Of all the things you feed your tank, how often do you feed it? You also said always have good water test, what is the phosphate and nitrate levels in your tank?

As far as the Bak Pak skimmer, I'm not familiar with them. Do you feel it does a good job for your 72 gallon?

4. Troy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I feed the DT, and Marine Snow 1 tsp each everday. I use the Tech-I and Coral-Vite 1 tsp every week, just as directed on the bottles. I just started using the Tech-I last week, so I am not sure how that is working yet. Sea Of Marvels recommended it to me, he said that it will help with coral color and health.

As for as the CPR Bak Pak. I started with a SeaClone, and I personally didn't care for it. When I got the Bak Pak, hooked it up and that was about it. Other then regular maintenance, and emptying the cup. I don't have to touch it ever.

Currently I am only testing Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite, PH, and Calcium. I havn't tested the Phosphate, but I will get that done tomorrow. Since I have to go to Pets Playhouse because I am switching a 55 gal fish only tank to a 75 gal. What other things should I be testing for?

5. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    If you're switching to a 75 from a 55 make sure you either get a reef ready tank or drill it then you can run a sump and a much better skimmer. Trust me it's the best thing you could do for you tank! Then you could also put a small fuge area into it to help with nitrate issues.

6. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By taavis on 12/28/2007 8:44 PM
    I feed the DT, and Marine Snow 1 tsp each everday. I use the Tech-I and Coral-Vite 1 tsp every week, just as directed on the bottles. I just started using the Tech-I last week, so I am not sure how that is working yet. Sea Of Marvels recommended it to me, he said that it will help with coral color and health.
    As for as the CPR Bak Pak. I started with a SeaClone, and I personally didn't care for it. When I got the Bak Pak, hooked it up and that was about it. Other then regular maintenance, and emptying the cup. I don't have to touch it ever.
    Currently I am only testing Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite, PH, and Calcium. I havn't tested the Phosphate, but I will get that done tomorrow. Since I have to go to Pets Playhouse because I am switching a 55 gal fish only tank to a 75 gal. What other things should I be testing for?
    I wonder how much some of that stuff helps?  If you are having issues, I would cut back on all of it with the exception of kalk.
    I would also start testing for alkalinity and magnesium.  Those two are important parameters to test for in order to keep your pH and calcium in balance.

7. Troy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks everyone for your input.  I will do some testing and some experimenting with the additives, and see if I might be overdoing it.   [​IMG]

8. Troy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]