1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Coral F/S

Discussion in 'Buy/Sell/Trade' started by Guest, Nov 20, 2007.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i think im going to sell some/most of my coral and downsize my tank or just go slower
    if anyone wants some softies or lps then let me know what you are looking for and ill try to tell you what/how many i have and how much id like to get. will take offers if you happen to know something i have.
    thanks!
    (im not quitting, i just need money and i wouldnt mind thinning out some of the corals)
    -ben

2. AMcDowell

AMcDowell Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Ben,

I just set up my first tank this weekend. I currently have 1 damsel. Is the coral you have something that would be good for me to start out with? Something small and simple maybe. My tank is a 45 gal. Has not cycled yet.

Amber

3. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to the club Amber! 
    I've only been enjoying my saltwater addiction for two years now and lots of us are fairly new to the hobby.  Take the opportunity to use this board and all of the others out there to ready everything you can on the subjects you'd like to know more about.  Feel free to ask questions and don't be surprised if you get more than one answer or more than one way to do things because we all have different experiences and ideas!  The club has lots to offer and I'm glad you found us!
    Good luck with your sales too Ben.  I wish I'd taken it a little slower in the beginning.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hey Amber - what sort of lighting do you have? i will be able to help you pick some stuff out if you let me know that.
    what city are you in? i am in waterloo, so if you want to buy something from me - hopefully you are close.
    you can PM me if you want.
    thanks!
    ben

5. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    NO!!!!! Ben, WHY????

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    need some money, wouldnt mind taking it a little slower...

im not liking how things are going....

also, i suppose i would trade some stuff but i dont have anything super special...

itll be ok ben... itll be ok.

7. Marcus Wood

Marcus Wood

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What corals do you have? Got tank pics?

8. AMcDowell

AMcDowell Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have fluorescent lights. 15 watt Brand is Color Max says Coralife on the package. says color-enhancing phosphors. That is really I all know. The guy at the fish store told me this is what I need.

I am in Oskaloosa, 2 hours S of you.

9. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Ouch,

Please take no offense because we have all been there, But,

please take it slow so you dont get dissappointed. Start with a few fish & make sure you can keep them alive & healthy. I started out with some 180 watt pc's & they were ok for some basic corals. Some of the best reef tanks in Iowa are in the Oskaloosa area. I suggest you can see if you can visit them & get their opinions.

GL
    Craig

10. AMcDowell

AMcDowell Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So are my lights not adequate? Do I need something different. No offense taken, I'm new & taking as much advise as I can get. [​IMG]

11. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    They are ok for fish, not for coral.

12. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By xroads on 11/20/2007 8:12 PM
    They are ok for fish, not for coral.
    Exactly, coral coral are photosynthetic just like a plant and require as much light as you can afford to throw at them.  Another tip that will save you time and money in the long run is to plan your end goals for the tank now, research what you want to accomplish, and then start stocking your tank.  You have a good 4-6 weeks worth of cycle time to do your homework and if we get you persuaded to QT (quarantine) your first fish also you will have around 8 weeks to plan.  I know the waiting sucks, but the money and headaches it saves are so worth it.

13. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Good advice Travis, take it slow and read,read,read.

14. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Amber,

I will state this a little more directly to try to be helpful. Please
    don't take this as criticism. If the pet store guy knew you wanted
    coral he did you a dis-service or just didn't know about coral. If he
    thought you only wanted salt water fish then he was fine.

So .....

Fish only - 15 watt fluorescents are OK

Starter corals such as zoanthids, toadstools/leathers and other softies
    and some LPS - Power Compact fluorescents or VHO fluorescents

Hard corals such as SPS, clams, anemones - Metal Halide - very intense lighting

If you want the third category, do the planning and purchases but wait
    to buy the livestock in this category for atleast 3 months, six months
    would be better. Consider buying used equipment on this board as well
    as Reef Central, you will save Mucho dollars.

Like everyone has said, read read read. I will add to this - ask many
    questions on this board. The people that have replied to you in this
    thread ( I do not include myself) are the best experts in Iowa in
    keeping reef tanks. Utilize their knowledge, we all do.

Also, become familiar with the use of Reef Centrals online magazine
    Reef Keeping and the search tools within. There many many great
    articles for new comers. http://reefkeeping.com/.

Lastly join GIRS! It will absolutely be the best $20 you will ever spend in this hobby.

Others, please add to my comments.

15. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to our forums. Glad you found us. I myself avoid asking serious advice from store employees as most aren't that educated on their product. That goes for fish stores, Lowes, Best Buy, etc. It's much better to research online, read books and find a place like this club for good advice.
    Here are some books that I own and would recommend to others:
    The New Marine Aquarium: Step-By-Step Setup & Stocking Guide (Paperback)
    [/b][​IMG][​IMG]
    The Conscientious Marine Aquarist: A Commonsense Handbook for Successful Saltwater Hobbyists
    [/b][​IMG]
    Aquarium Corals : Selection, Husbandry, and Natural History
    [/b][​IMG]
    A PocketExpert Guide to Marine Fishes: 500+ Essential-To-Know Aquarium Species
    [/b] [​IMG]
    A PocketExpert Guide to Marine Invertebrates: 500+ Essential-to-Know Aquarium Species
    [/b] [​IMG]
    ReefCentral also has a wealth of knowledge from it's many forums and there are a lot of locals on this forum who would probably be happy to help you out as well.
    P.S. I didn't see a button to insert images. Is there a quicker way to insert images other than manually add the html code?
    Thanks
    Chris