1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Cool my tank!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CREYNOLDS, Jul 17, 2008.

1. CREYNOLDS

CREYNOLDS

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So my tank is about to boiler over its at 88 degress. I need something to cool it down but no room for a chiller. Has anyone ever used those clip on module fans?Thanks

2. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    get as much air moving over the top of the water as you can, however your evaporation will go way up. Can you move your lights up 2 -3 inches?

3. CREYNOLDS

CREYNOLDS

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Not really my m/h are 8 inch off the top now. Should I get a 4 in 1 fan?Does anyone know what the dangers of having my tank temp so high are?

4. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Get a box fan or something powerful and blow it across. You can also float frozen bottles of ice if your home to do it. If the temp stays that high for a long period it will probably wipe some stuff out.

5. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just get a couple clip on fans, 2 on top or one on top one on your sump if you have one. If you have corals, some may suffer, maybe get bleached out, if the high temp is prolonged. I'd really see if you can't prop up those halides further off the water too. I would think if it cools down at night you will be ok. When the tank temp goes up, the oxygen in the water will decrease too, so watch your fish to make sure they're doing ok.

6. Phathead

Phathead Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Well I would say if you let that go for to much longer at that temp or yo wont have a tank to talk about. What is the temo in your house, do you use Air Conditioner? I run 2 MH for 12 hours aday with no overheating problems stays under 78 but I keep my house at 71. I noticed that if I let my house temp go up even by a couplle of degrees it dramatically changes the temp of the aquarium. I figure the money saved on not buying a chiller would take years to spend on electric bills due to overuse of the air conditioner just something to think about.

7. billbigsbe Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Make a Chiller. Dorm fridge, plastic hose, pump, floral gel. COIL 20-30 FT of the tubing place in fridge drill holes through frt. door for intake/return. Pack inner fridge w/either floral gel "slimey gelatin that is a good conductor" or dryed beans "cheaper". something to make contact between fridge and tubeing. Close it up and duct tape it shut. Ive only seen it done on a 75, but it really works great... emergengy situations make r/o ice

8. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You might wand to look at some of your equipment choices that could be driving your temperature up that much. Common culprits are Mag drive pumps being ran submersed, heater stuck on, etc. Might be worthwhile to look at.

At that temperature I would shut my lights down and aim every fan in the house at it. My tanks are in my garage with 2-250w mh and 2-175w mh on all day. There are up to 5 pumps running at any given time and I never see a temperature spike like that. You might have something else wrong besides a hot house.

9. CREYNOLDS

CREYNOLDS

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So I went to menards and got a 8 inch clamp on fan. I clamped it on the side of the tank and with in 2 hours the temp was down to 78 degress. Wow that was scary! I have been watching all day and seems to be holding at a steady temp!

10. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You could of had a hell of a mess if you had a sps tank. Quick temp swings cause RTN and bleaching.