1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Considering doing a biocube

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Untamed Waters, Sep 29, 2009.

1. I'm curious as to people's experience with them. This would be my first aquarium, I just got a job offer at Nordstrom's inbound call center, so I would probably wait until or if I got a full time position offer. Anyway, comments?

2. cowdust9

cowdust9 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i would say its the best way to start just cause everything that you need to start off is built in. the only thing that you might have to add would be a heater and if you want to get crazy with it a skimmer to lol

3. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I just got done "pimpin' out" my 29 gallon biocube. They are great little tanks and I highly recommend one as a beginner tank. The only real problem i see with them is being they are so small you can get a lot of temp swings if not running a chiller.

4. Gered

Gered Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I have owned 2 different nanos just no biocube but I will say go for it. They are fun and can end up costing a lot like a bigger setup. The options are unlimited. Check out nanoreef.com for a lot of information and upgrade ideas.

As for what Waverz said....look into a controller and this will help your temps. I use a small computer fan to control temps and only have a swing of .4 degrees.

5. rockinsmall

rockinsmall Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    biocubes are amazing... i have three going now...

6. Would I need to upgrade the light, fans? I know I can get a biocube skimmer for 35$ or should I look at a different one?

7. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've heard the Sapphire skimmers are much better. Upgrading the lights and fan will depend on what you want to keep in there. Most softies will do fine with PC lights, however, even softies will do better with upgraded lights. Upgraded lights will also allow you to keep a wider range of corals.  Check out nanotuners.com for upgrade options.

--AJ