1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

computer

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by nick, Jan 25, 2008.

1. nick

nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    does anyone now a good honest and affordable computer store in cedar rapids or online. thank you

2. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    That kind of depends on what you are looking for. Are you looking to buy a new computer or have one fixed?

-JB

3. mr.jeff.wagner

mr.jeff.wagner Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Like JB said, whats wrong with it?  I can take a look at it.  At least its free that way, unless you need parts /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif.

4. ZLTFUL

ZLTFUL Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Heck, forget a store...if you need to upgrade, just get with one of the local geeks and a site like newegg.com and save yourself some money.

5. nick

nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    no i am on a laptop right now and i want a real computer with a dvd burner

6. ZLTFUL

ZLTFUL Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Same scenario.

Although, you can't beat alot of prices Dell has and of the big companies, their customer service is still "tops".

I am a geek so I would build custom over buying premade.

7. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Dell's customer service has been crap when i worked with them. Unless they have gone back to state side customer care I would just buy something from Best Buy. But to be fair I have not had any trouble with my Dell tower. My Dell laptop had a faulty battery that only lasted under 1 year and I blame that on the faulty charger/AC cord. They have over 200 complaints about this particular AC cord style breaking and frying batteries, but they never do anything to help besides try to sell you a new battery for $129 and a new charger (same faulty style) for $65...

8. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    If you have a shop that buys corporate computers off lease that is where I buy all my machines for my software company now. I have a few block away in Clive. I bought a couple a few weeks ago - P4 2.8 ghz boxes with XP Prof for $150-200 no screen. No DVD burner but those are cheap now. The place I go to is Midwest Renewables. I have built computers for almost 15 years, but at that price I can't afford to do it. Time is too valuable these days. Heck an XP Prof license is almost as much as these machines.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

There are some good price for OS's here

http://software.pricegrabber.com/windows-family-os/p/186/st=category
    I built my computer 4 years ago for under $800.00  P4 2.4 ghz, 1 Gb ram, 2 ata133 80 Gb hard drive, Abit mother board raid, case, ATA Radeon 7500, DVD burner.  I got my OS Win XP Pro (OEM) from a computer store that was going out of business for $75.00.  I can upgrade the BIOS and add a 3.2 ghz chip (Cheap).
    There are some good deals at Dell, we use them at work,  Dual core, sata drives, and flat screen monitors.  It's tough to build one at the prices that their selling whole systems for at this time.  But you can piece one together and get top quality parts for the new system, string it over a couple of months so you don't have to put it on a credit card.