1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Computer help needed

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by xroads, Nov 10, 2007.

1. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I can fix anything with 4 tires but I know very little about computers.  My 4 year old got on my computer & changed a setting so all my letters look half there in places.  Ive tried everything I can think of.  Anyone have any suggestions.
    Thx
    Craig

2. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    H,mmm, sounds fishy, could be a video card going bad.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I need more info before i can help you out craig.  Some questions that i have
    1.  Does your computer boot up fine?
    2. What OS are you running on it (operating system) xp xp pro 95-98.
    3. Are the names of your icons on your desktop all messed up or can you read them fine?
    4. When you try to type something in MS word or notepad can you read it?
    I would guess from the info that i have she just messed up the default font of your computer if that is the case thats an easy fix if not.  There are a few other things i can try to help you out let me know.
    Give me a call if you need to
    Joe

4. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Right click on desktop and choose Properties. Go to Appearance andclick on the Effects button. In the field Use the following method to smooth edges of screen fonts: try and change it to Standard, or Cleartype. Whichever isn't selected.

Thats just a guess but it is hard to diagnose without looking at the screen. If the issue is just with the font and the icons and graphics are still OK, then it would be just an issue with Windows, like an option or setting was changed, and not a monitor or video card issue.

5. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Believe it or not it cleared up over night. I restarted it several times that day