1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Compare MH to T5...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gb387, Jul 3, 2008.

1. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Another Q...  Still looking for lighting, now can someone compare MH to T5's?   I just want to make the right decision and get all the info I need first.  Things like Watts/gallon, is one more energy efficient ("I am kind of an energy nut")?  Any help would be great, I have a  90 gallon now.

2. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Well, not suprisingly, this has been discussed a few times before and opinions vary... /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

I would say that if you want Energy efficiency then go with T5's. If you want the shimmer effect, or if you want optimal growth/color then go with MH. The bottom line is that both have thier own advantages, but both work really well overall and you can grow anything under either of them.

The option that you left out is "LED" which is still in the early adoptor phase (aka pricey) but offers both energy efficiency and the shimmer that so many of us love.

-JB

3. billbigsbe Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Yea LED is the way to go w/no heat and a ton of lamp hours. Cant wait to see the prices drop in the next couple of years. Check out Solaris Aquarium Light on E-bay, every once and a while you might see a scratch n dent for cheap

4. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    2 250 MH's and 2-220 watt VHO's and you'll never look back