1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Club wide camping trip in July

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by xroads, Feb 17, 2008.

1. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    We decided to have a club wide camping trip in July for our state wide event.  It will be at Hickory Hills about 13 miles south of Waterloo.  Please let us know which weekend works best for you.  Feel free to come 1 night, 2 nights, or just come hang out during the day.

2. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I'm up for pretty much any weekend!  I'll be parking the camper there for the weekend and sitting in my chair sipping on something cool and refreshing!  /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/cool.gif
    Just a thought, state parks are almost easier to make sure you get a spot to camp.  They have a reservation system and you can reserve your spot up to 3 months in advance.  Not sure how many people will be camping though.  Maybe if we got enough people in we could talk to the ranger at the park and still possibly reserve some spots?  Either way I'm in for one site with electrical! /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif

3. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I am only about 10 minutes away, I will get up that morning & go & reserve as many spots as we need.

4. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'll probably be detasseling those 3 weekends, I would still stop by for a little while though.

5. nick

nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    count me in

6. calebjk Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i have a few cents to chip in.
    camping is usually best in early june. there are less bugs and less heat.
    not to say i wouldn't come if it is in july.

7. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I'd probably be up for some camping.

8. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Posted By calebjk on 02/23/2008 8:41 PM
    We pretty much camp from the first week in May until October!  We're diehards though and love camping.  I figured there would be a lot more people jumping on this one.

9. Steph & Nick

Steph & Nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i dont know if i will be able to convince nick to stay the night, but we would hang out with everyone

10. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Just thought I'd throw this out there just in case anyones interested.

I can probably round up a couple tents for people to use if they want to go and don't have one.

11. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree, and especially with little ones and pets.  We probably won't go because if it gets too hot, there's no where we could go with our then one year old.  But I suppose there will always be somebody who can't go.......
    Posted By calebjk on 02/23/2008 8:41 PM

12. calebjk Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i will most likely be able to go and i have a tent that will comfortably fit my wife and i and another couple.

13. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    I would say I vote for June as well, possibly around the 13th or 14th. With July heat and bugs it's not going to be any fun. People are going to want to be out chating it up and if the bugs are eatting them up and the heat is cooking them it's going to be hard. Also I can see fawns point, there's going to be alot of people with younger kids and quite a few of us with newborns, bugs and heat with babies isn't cool. I'll most likely be bringing the in-laws 5th wheel pending we make it, it sleeps 8 to 10 depending incase people don't have tents. I'm also with matt on reserving the spots, people should give a head count within 2 or 3 weeks and we should get the spots as soon as we can, getting a bunch of side by side spots as going to be a challenge anyway, or at least it is at our campgrounds.

14. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I am sure we can swap the camp date & the local dates around. Sounds like a smart idea to me. Do we want the big park @ george weith or Hickory Hills? I like hickory hills myself as it is not as crowded & still has plenty to do.

15. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I've never camped at Hickory Hills so I don't know how busy it usually is. If we go to a park that doesn't have a way we can reserve it we usually pull down on Wed. night to make sure we get a spot with the group of people we're camping with. Seeing as Hickory Hills is a County Park they probably won't allow you to reserve spots so we'll probably have to snag some a couple days early if everyones willing to foot the extra cost of a couple nights camping. If we get enough people committed it may be worth it to talk to the park ranger and see if he'd let us reserve some spots. This is where George Wyth would be nice as we could reserve up to 90 days in advance to guarantee our spots.

Overall though I personally would rather camp at Hickory Hills. It's a really nice park, there's lots to do there, and it's not as busy. Do they still have all the animals there? It's been a long time since I've been there.

16. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I know they have the lake, hiking trails, playground, petting zoo. I will see if I can talk to the park ranger this weekend about reserving some sites. I would say maybe 10 for starters & go from there.

17. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Just out of curiosity, was this still going to happen or did it get canceled do to all of the flooding?

-JB