1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

CLOWN TRIGGER a good first fish?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jordybaby24, Jun 8, 2009.

1. jordybaby24

jordybaby24 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am thinking about purchasing a clown trigger for my 90 gallon salt water setup that is fish only. I am starting over after ich killed everything I had about 4 months ago. I have 2 damels, a choc chip star fish, and about 10 snails and hermit crabs in there right now. I am trying to figure out what fish to start with this time. I want something easy that I'm not going to kill off right away. I dont want corals. I don't have a top on the tank so I don't want something that will jump out. Any ideas? Is a clown trigger a good choice? I am ok with having an more aggressive tank. Thanks for the help

2. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Save yourself some heartache now. Clown triggers & all other fish can/will jump out of the tank. Even if you put eggcrate on the top do something.

90 is actually a little small for a CT as they will grow big fast, up to 20 inches. They will also eat any other organism that is in your tank.

If you do you will need other larger predatory fish if you want anything else in your tank.

3. jordybaby24

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The hood of my tank wont fit on with the hang on tank protein skimmer and 48'' light with legs. Any other suggestions so the fish dont jump out? My tank is not drilled and I dont have room to hang a sump on the back of the tank or the money to do it right now.

4. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    get a sheet of egg crate from menards, ($12) Then you can cut to fit very easily.

They are a beautiful fish BTW. I read they can even be trained.

5. matt1971 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    What size clown trigger? It will probably kill everything except maybe the damsels. You may get lucky and get a more docile clown trigger. Feeding it feeder goldfish may make it more aggressive. Be sure the trigger is in good shape before you buy it. You'll need a top, maybe even some weight on top of the eggcrate. What other aggressive fish do you want to keep with it? I've had a lot of larger aggressive fish and found that the order of introduction into the tank sometimes plays a role in the dominance. Read up on the fish you are interested in. How did you get ich?

6. matt1971 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    I've seen a smaller clown trigger do well in a reeftank with smaller fish.

7. jordybaby24

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What is an eggcrate? What other types of fish would get along with the trigger? I learned my lesson from not quarentining my new fish. I got ich from an emporer angel fish. Now we have a 29 gallon quarentine tank so we are ready to start over. I added 2 #3 korriallas and a protien skimmer and a better light to my 90 tank. We have the lid that we bought with the tank but it wont fit on with the skimmer and light. Thanks for all the help.

8. bobsfish

bobsfish Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    You'll find eggcrate at menards/lowes/homedepot in the building material or lighting section - in the section of lighting diffuser material. Eggcrate is just another plastic/synthetic diffuser material for lighting, but the difference is it has openings - it looks like a checkerboard only with holes. It will come in 2x4 ft sheets. It also will come in 2 colors - white and silver. It's normally $10 to $12 per sheet. I recently found a piece at homedepot for $5 - it had a corner damaged, which didn't bother me, but rendered it useless otherwise.