1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Clown and other preliminary fish questions??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by John50, May 31, 2009.

1. John50

John50 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi, we are still cycling our 75 gallon but it should be done or close to done. Starting next week if the water tests out ok we are going to look at getting a pair of the common percula clowns to start with. Anyone have good suggestions on how to remove the 5 damsels first? We have a large amount of live rock and decorations in the tank and it seems like it will be impossible unless we pull everything out and I don't know that is advisable. We have a number of hitchhikers we have picked up in our live rock like star fish, snails and a Hawaiian Feater Duster. Also, someone on reef central I think told me I need a pair of same species juvenile clowns. We want the common orange perculas but does size make a difference? Also, I would like to add a third fish about the same time, is there any danger with doing that? Thanks so much for wisdom as we are trying to learn but have no experience to this point!
    John

2. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I had a few damsels I wanted to remove. So I took a emply 2 liter bottle and cut the top off right where it started to get smaller at. Then I tied some fishing line on oppisite sides. I didn't feed for a few days and put the bottle in the tank so the fish could get comfortable with it. Then I put the food in the bottom of the bottle. When they came in to feed. I just pulled up on the fishing line. That is the cheap why.
    On the clown I would stick with the same species, I would just make sure they are about the same size as each other. Other then that size don't really make a difference. For the third fish, as long as its compatible with clown fish you shouldn't have any problem with that.
    Hope that helps.