1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

CleanUp Crews

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bobsfish, Apr 24, 2009.

1. bobsfish

bobsfish Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I'm cycling my first saltwater tank and am planning what to do once it's finished. I've been looking at various packages for cleanup crews - bluezooaquatics.com and saltwaterfish.com both have various packages....ex: algae crews, detritus crews, sand-stirring, etc. They offer packages based on the size of tank. I'm not certain I will actually order from either website, but the information seems to be good.
    http://www.bluezooaquatics.com/prod...=2&cid=313
    ...a couple questions:
    1. has anyone ever ordered cleanup crews from either of these websites? were you satisfied / dissatisfied?
    2. is it better to get a complete cleanup crew all at once (like with a package), or get a few things at a time and gradually build up to a complete crew?
    Thanks, Bob

2. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Your LFS should have most of the stuff you need. A couple shrimp, half a dozen snails per ten gallons, and a handful of hermits. Those packages always seemed really overpriced to me.

3. vikubz Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I have ordered from bluezoo, reeftopia and liveaquaria with great success. If you are near to Sea of Marvels in North Liberty you will find excellent prices on snails etc. Hung has a great place. I don't know where you are, but in Waterloo I think the snails etc. are pretty pricey.

Check out liveaquaria.com and go to the 'Build Your Own' reef cleaner package. You only need to order $60 worth and your shipping is free. I think it's a great deal and the livestock I've gotten from them has always been top notch.

4. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Watch out on SoM's snails. I got a nasty red planaria infestation from them. The middle snail tank is completely infested and has been for at least the last month. Just watch while your LFS owner picks the snails. I'll still buy snails from him, but you can bet your life I'll be treating them with some pig wormer to prevent another outbreak.

5. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just got 90 snails from SoM today. I pointed out his little planaria infestation and he said he had no idea. Glad I could be of service :)

6. bobsfish

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    thanks for the feedback. yeah, i was in SoM a couple weeks ago and some of the tanks were looking pretty bad. i'm not sure which ones you got the snails from though. so, if you got 90 snails, you must not be too concerned about the planaria...is it easy to treat?

7. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Once your tank is infested it's a pain in the ***, but it's easy to dip snails in the drug that kills the worms. I wrote a little tut about it in a forum post a while back.

http://www.greateriowareefsociety.org/Community/DiscussionForums/tabid/78/aff/4/aft/15869/afv/topic/afpgj/1/Default.aspx#26721

8. bobsfish

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Posted By h2so4hurts on 04/25/2009 07:33 PM
    Once your tank is infested it's a pain in the ***, but it's easy to dip snails in the drug that kills the worms.
    Is it a good idea to dip snails as a precaution? Are snails the only risk - or, do hermits also cause a risk?

9. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    They usually come in on live rock. If a tank is really infested they'll start living on snail shells. I'm just paranoid now so I dip everything.