1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Cleaning the overflow..what`s your method?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AJ, Apr 15, 2009.

1. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey folks.  For the last week or so, I've been soaking the coralline out of the tank I'm going to be setting up soon and now I'm to cleaning out in between the two walls of the overflow.  It's 1/2 wide, curved and 24" deep.  I was talking to Jason the other day and he suggested maybe a gun cleaning kit.  I also considered an oven scrubbing pad stitched to the end of a wire handle (all DIY fabricated of course).
    Has anyone else done this successfully and if so, what did you use?
    --AJ

2. Paper Clip

Paper Clip Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I did this about three months ago, I made it really easy on my self and just dumped 5 gallons of vinegar in the tank when i freshwater tested and screbbed the outer wall of the overflows, most of the stuff from the inside came out and i figured whatever's left isn't going to hurt anything so i left it.

3. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've used a fat pipe cleaner(the one that comes with the emperor400 filter) and it seemed to work ok. It would work best if you could get one thats over a foot long, just make sure its bendable. It's also pretty handy for cleaning the skimmers collection cup.

4. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You could tape the outside of the overflows so water don't get out, Then put vinegar inbetween and let it soak. After a day or two use a pipe cleaner brush and scrub. That should get everything looking like new.

5. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the ideas. It was late last night when I had some time to look at this and since no place was open to buy a pipe cleaner brush, I went ahead and tried using an oven pad on the end of a wire coat hanger. It worked better than I expected. I took some pics of what I made, but I think the flat edges really helped to get into the corners where the inner and outer walls meet at the back of the tank. It was just the right thickness and it cleaned a lot of crap out of there. I'll post the pics when I get a minute...maybe they will be helpful to someone else trying to do the same thing.

--AJ