1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

cleaner clams

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guest, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've seen a reference to "Cleaner Clams" on saltwaterfish.com however, I have not found any other references, images, or mention of these clams. They sound like they would be good for the tank, I'd like to know if they go by another name cause I'd like to see if Hung can wrangle some up for me if they are what SWF.com claims.

2. Benji

Benji Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    aka sand sifter clams.
    the scientific name for these "cleaner clams" is Mercenaria mercenaria or, as  new enlgandahs call them...  Quahogs

they are quite hardy if you keep your tank temp the same as the north atlantic...otherwise any attempt to keep them will be futile. they are readily available at most open fish markets...kept alive on a bed of ice.
    edit to add..they prefer more or less, salinity between 18 and 26 ppt.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    so a tank that's 77-79 is gonna kill them then?

4. Benji

Benji Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By brettstout on 02/16/2008 6:23 PM
    so a tank that's 77-79 is gonna kill them then?
    they are resilient creatures so, they will not expire immediately...but eventually they will die of reef params [or starvation if a skimmer is employed].
    on the bright side...you won't have to worry about any DOAs while shipping during these winter months.
    why not try a T. crocea clam...they are easier on the eyes and perform the same function.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hung said my coralife delux light isn't strong enough to keep a crocea clam alive. I am using a skimmer also, wouldn't that also starve the crocea clam? I wonder now if i am getting enough light in the tank with the 90 gallon since it is so much deeper than my 55 was. I worry about my anemone and the propagation of my coralline algae

6. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Posted By brettstout on 02/16/2008 10:55 PM
    Hung said my coralife delux light isn't strong enough to keep a crocea clam alive. I am using a skimmer also, wouldn't that also starve the crocea clam? I wonder now if i am getting enough light in the tank with the 90 gallon since it is so much deeper than my 55 was. I worry about my anemone and the propagation of my coralline algae
    Giant clams, aka, the pretty kind kept in reef tanks, use light for most of their food needs.  Maximas and croceas really should have MH's, although the deresa and squamosa can do ok with t5's or power compacts.......