1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Cleaner Clams Group Buy

Discussion in 'Buy/Sell/Trade' started by Bud, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    I tested N and P or both tanks

2. ninjazx777 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Yes I feed the dead ones to my aggressive tank. they love clams on the half shell

3. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    Great Matt! I have fed mine too on the half shell :0) I just don't know which was the more aggressive...the fish or nassarius snails! :-0) Are you going to try to see if the clams can control the PO so you wouldn't have to dose LC?

Yes Bud! Do you have all them now in the 40B? I'm really anxious to hear how they do on the NO and PO :0) That would be awesome if they work to where one wouldn't have to buy GFO :0)

What size are they? Will an inch of sand cover them? If not, I may have to clean sand this weekend /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default//emoticons/sad.gif

4. Dave Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines Area
    Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    So far 9 of our 10 have burrowed and the remaining one is still alive. Not sure why he hasn't dug in.

5. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    Good Dave! I'm wondering if some of them show the behavior like freshwater clams as they do not always stay buried? He's probably check to see where he can find some food in your tank!! lol

6. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    2 are still on the surface in the 40B. I think any sand is OK, 1" is probably good.

The people as SWF replied back to my question stating that I did not thing they were sand sifters, they said they are filter feeders but since they move through the sand bed, that also makes them sand sifters. So is that like what a sand sifting starfish does, it just moves through the sand, therefore it is a sand sifter?

7. bladerunner Well-Known ReefKeeper

des moines
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    One Of Mine was Still On The Surface After A Couple Hours, So I Buried It A Little And Haven't Seen It Since

8. cowdust9

cowdust9 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i found this posting about them as far as using calcium " I brought some back from the lower Rappahannock and they live for over a year in my sump. I had to get rid of them becuase I also had some large clams in my display and combined they sucked the calcium up faster then I could drip it. I remember them having a huge range of survivability with temp and salinity." found on http://wamas.org/forums/topic/55915-cleaner-clam-to-lower-nitrate/

9. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    It's been a few days...have you tested Bud? Anyone else?

Maybe CA should be tested too...

10. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    So the order arrived on the 16th...a lot of us are interested in what results are seen, if any. Can we get some updates...survival, nitrates, phosphates, calcium consumption/changes? :0)

11. Chris C. Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    I would love to give a ton of valuable information but feel that my data is useless!!!!! Since I had major nitrate issues after Murphy's Law kicked in on my trips, I can not give any information other than my Nitrates have seen a major reduction (partially due to water changes) my phosphates are not measurable, and my calcium is Reef Crystal Salt High.

Wish I could give valuable information.

The only thing I can say is 1 out of 10 died so I have 9 of them!

12. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    I'll try to test tonight

13. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Ok, quick background:

2 tanks

Tank #1, 40 breeder, minimal stock, UAS only filtration, fed 1/4 cube every other day. I put 9 clams in this tank on 7/16 and tested P=0.81 and N=~40. I harvested the algae from the scrubber. The test on 7/2 was P=.88 and N=40+, so the 2 week period w/o clams was not much change.

Tested today and P was 0.65 and N was more like 20, that's in 9 days. I plan on testing again before harvesting the scrubber (prob next Tues/Wed) and then I will harvest the scrubber, remove the clams, and put them in the 120.

Tank #2, 120, 2 large tangs, 4 chromis, 2 clowns, lots of coral, L2 scrubber (same size except waterfall), fed 2+ cubes every other day, roughly. Tank has consistently tested P=0.09-0.16 for a few months, and N usually around 20-30. This tank spike way up to P=0.9 and N>80 when I put the UAS on the 40B and started a brand new scrubber a few months ago, so it is in a lot better condition than it was. Tank parameters have not changed much since 7/16, P was 0.16 and now is 0.15 (that's skewed because I fed before I tested, oops) and N was ~40 and now is more like 20-30 (there was also a mini-spike between 7/2 and 7/16 because I was messing with the algae scrubber photoperiod and it did not work well, and my algae screen partially died, so at 7/2 for a week the filtration was sub-par, but it has recovered quickly). Anyways, 1 clam I don't think made any difference.

So at the end of this month I will put all the clams in the 120 and see what happens to both tanks.

14. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    Thanks Chris and Bud! Anyone else have PO and NO test comparisons?

Chris, are you still doing major water changes (frequency or volume)? I don't know what you usually want your PO and NO levels to run but maybe you could stop the WC's when they are somewhat higher than you want (baseline) and then begin testing and reporting? :0)

Bud, when you put the clams in the 120 (Tank 2), maybe you can test (before feeding-LOL) and use that as the baseline? Then begin testing and reporting? Also, I believe a lot of the retailers state that anything that moves through or on top of the sand, they call 'sand-sifters. My Conch rarely goes under the sand and it's a sand sifter...go figure! I think we both have the same perception that a sand sifter moves a lot of the sand, almost bull-dozing through it! :0) That's why I got a Conch...go figure /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default//emoticons/sad.gif

15. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    Updates? please :0)

16. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    Bump.

17. Tickyty

Tickyty Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Any updates on how this is turning out???

18. Chris C. Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    I would say this has been an awesome purchase for me! My Nitrates were 100+ because a lot of different issues while I was out of town for awhile. After major water changes, I got them down to 30. Since then in my 90. I have done 10 gallon water changes weekly, with the water changes and the clams my Nitrates are less 4. My phosphates are still 0 which I think means I have some algae sucking up the phosphates giving me a false reading.

My tank is stocked well with a large tang (that I won't name because people will tell me I shouldn't have it) a foxface, six clowns, a mystery wrasse and a sixline.

Also I went from having 9 alive to 8. When they die, they just come out of the sand bed and die.

19. ninjazx777 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Mine are doing good. I haven't seen any reductions in nitrates but I don't think I bought enough clams for my size of system.
    I would be willing to do another group buy in the near future

20. mpivit Well-Known ReefKeeper

Dubuque
    Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -0
    Fwiw, my kids put 2 small river clams (silver dollar size) in their freshwater biocube 14. Before they put them in there was algae growing all over the back and the water was cloudy. Within 2 weeks most of the algae was gone the water was crystal clear and plants really started growing, We don't have any freshwater test kits for that tank, but I can only assume it was the clams that caused the dramatic difference.