1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Cleaner Clams Group Buy

Discussion in 'Buy/Sell/Trade' started by Bud, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    I asked this on saltwaterfish.com's support request system in their online store

I asked a few more questions, will post when I get a response.

2. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    I copy/pasted that response verbatim. I should note that I think whoever wrote this doesn't understand that they are filter feeders, not sand sifters (or are they?) and not sure that they remove "nitrates and phosphates, silicates, and ditritus. [sic]"

3. GoodGreef Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive, IA
    Ratings:
    +239 / 2 / -0

I think it was the one out on University in Clive. And yeah they aren't sand sifters that I've seen. They take in water only. There is also a fresh seafood truck, Fabian Seafood, that comes through Des Moines and stops on Grand Ave around 28th street every couple months from the Gulf. Sometimes they have clams but not always.

4. ninjazx777 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    order is here 515-577-5165
    1919 east 21st

5. ninjazx777 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    i may have to leave for 2 hours from 4-6 is that going to be an issue with anyone?

6. mfisher

mfisher

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Lol, haven't seen that in years! How Did u acclimate them?

7. ninjazx777 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0

i have been slowly drip acclimating my clams and there looking good they have all opened up a little and stuck there trunks out and close up and spit water out if i pick them up

8. hart

hart Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    I should be by around 6ish

9. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    This is definitely going to be interesting!!!!

10. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Got my 10, put them in a bucket with a little water, all but one opened up within 10 minutes, so I put 9 in my 40B in the basement (which has a lot of sand, 2-3") and the one unopened one in my 120.

The ones in the 40B are on the move, I can only count 6 now, the others have already burrowed. The one in the 120 must have just been camera shy, he's open and just sitting there (minimal sand in the 120)

11. bladerunner Well-Known ReefKeeper

des moines
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    I got 5, bought them all in, came home from work 8 hours later and all but one were "gone." Should I assume the one is dead and take it out?

12. Chris C. Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    Has the one opened at all? You will Barley see any mantle. You might also see its foot.

I have two of the ten that have not burried, but they are alive.

13. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0

Thanks for the offer hart. I'm real interested, but I can wait.

14. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    I caught one of mine (the one in my 120) trying to move, he had his foot all the way out underneath him, at least 1" extended, then he swept it and spun himself about 45 degrees and sucked his foot back in.

In the 40, I now see only 3 (6 have burrowed)

15. ninjazx777 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    I lost one out of 35 so far. I just have mine sitting on the bare bottom of my sump. do you think I should add sand for them to bury in or will they be ok just sitting on the bare bottom

16. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    I think that without any predators or anything that might be perceived as predators (fish swimming above them, etc) they should be fine in bare bottom, but not 100% sure...

17. hart

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    When used in scientific sudies and with some commercial cultivation they are maintained with no substrate so they should be fine.

18. mthomp

mthomp Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

19. hart

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    Autoclave? Haha. Perhaps disinfect would have been a better term.

20. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    How will they filter particulates in a sump when a filter sock and skimmer are used?

Did everyone test their PO?

Matt, did you feed the dead one to your fish?