1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Advice? Clean Up Crew

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JasonH, Jan 28, 2020.

1. JasonH

Waukee
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I have a 75 show tank that has been up and running for 3 weeks. Once my cycle is complete, I plan to introduce some clean up crew members. I'm in the Des Moines area and wondered where everyone gets their snails and crabs. Buying them at a LFS is fine, but seems really pricey. Is there a good spot? Ordering online in winter makes me nervous due to low temps.
    Thanks for the help.

Jason

2. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    Reefcleaners.org

3. JasonH

Waukee
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Thank you!

4. Chris C. Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    I use reefcleaners.org like several have suggested, but as I was starting out, my tank did not have enough in it to really buy in bulk. Salty Blues does have some bulk prices when you are looking at smaller amounts.

5. JasonH

Waukee
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Thanks! Getting close to the end of my cycle. Excited to get some fish and crew in the tank.

6. CyFan CyFan

Cambridge
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Yes there are a lot of online dealers where you can get your animals a few cents cheaper. But if you're looking for quality disease-free animals there is 1 shop in the DM area that, in my opinion, is head and shoulders above the rest. Now I won't name them but their initials are SB.

7. JasonH

Waukee
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Appreciate the responses. Didn't realize SB was there. I stopped in Sunday. Got a few snails and a pair of clowns. Really like that place. Very friendly and had good stock.