1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Clean Up Crew Bulk Buy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rutherford, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Rutherford

Rutherford Inactive User

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I'm getting ready to order a bulk clean up crew from www.reefcleaners.org if anybody is interested so we can save money on crews and shipping please let me know. Min. order to recieve priority express shipping is $150 I plan on ordering approximately $75 worth of items. If anybody else is needing anything just pm me

2. ruggerkc Experienced Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

North Liberty , IA
    Ratings:
    +183 / 3 / -0
    Where do you live?
    There is a group buy coinciding with the fall frag fest

3. Rutherford

Rutherford Inactive User

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Newton, is the group buy for the same site?

4. ruggerkc Experienced Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

North Liberty , IA
    Ratings:
    +183 / 3 / -0
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2015
  5. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Group Buy is for Keys Critters. Prices will be at or below what's listed including shipping.

--AJ

6. Rutherford

Rutherford Inactive User

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I checked out Keys Critters prices, even with group buy prices would be cheaper to go with www.reefcleaners.org

7. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    FYI we did a club group by from ReefCleaners.org earlier and it wasn't a great experience.

The forgot to include a number of the items that were ordered and some items were DOA (all of my Ceriths for example).

To be fair, they did refund our money for the omissions and losses but it still wasn't a good experience.

The other problem with them is that their selection of non-snail invertebrates (crabs, shrimp, stars etc) varies wildly depending on the day you hit their site...

Personally, I'd rather order from KeyCritters. I've ordered some stuff from them before for our office tank and everything arrived packed well and alive...

-JB

8. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey Rutherford,
    I was curious after you mentioned Reef Cleaners having better prices so I checked it out. I couldn't find an instance where they beat the group buy price.

For example:
    blue leg hermits - group buy is less than half the price (.49 vs .20)
    dwarf cerith - group buy is .03 cheaper
    large cerith - group buy is .03 cheaper

Now, there is certainly an inventory difference between the two where Reef Cleaners offers a variety of macro algaes and Keys Critters is all livestock...but unless you're really dead set on getting some of their macro algae or some chitons or limpets, you have a much wider variety to select from ordering from Keys.  I was *very* surprised to see that Reef Cleaners did not have astrea snails.  
    Shipping on the Keys Critters group buy is included in the listed prices, you don't have to worry about getting your order up to $150 to get free shipping. 
    This is a members only group buy so maybe you're factoring in the cost of your membership, I don't know, but I can't see any reason why someone would prefer to purchase from Reef Cleaners vs take advantage of the group buy that we already have arranged with Keys Critters based on the prices that I'm seeing.

Finally, the prices that are published for the group buy are subject to change...yeah, they could go even lower. The more that is purchased by the club as a whole, the lower the prices will go. Some items will go down more than others so any additional discount would depend on what was ordered. Initial payment will be for the amounts specified on the group buy and any discounts will be handled as refunds at the time of pickup.

Let me know if you have any questions about the Keys Critters group buy.

--AJ

9. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Heh, I forgot about the Limpets and Chitons. Those were one nice thing about ReefCleaners.org, but all of my limpets quickly committed suicide by trying to clean the outside of my tank!

The chitons lasted for a while until all of the algea was gone from my Frag tank, then they disappeared. They were cool though.

-JB

10. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Limpets...the lemmings of the marine world...haha

Didn't someone else say that they had some not only crawl out of their tank, but halfway across the room before they were discovered? Pretty funny.

--AJ

11. Rutherford

Rutherford Inactive User

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I'm not opposed to keycritters but to be perfectly honest I don't really have the intention of joining the club at this time. Not because I don't believe in the club, but I have three kids and I'm not excatly rich. What I have done with my 55 Gallon is mostly DIY, and the products I have purchased have been on ebay and craigslist. Since this is a members only type of buy I most likely won't be participating. I also noticed that you are from cedar rapids, and the club meeting to pick up is in Marion. And I'm located in Newton. Would not excalty be advantageous to make my order which would would be $50 or so + $20 for membership + $20 Gas + whatever the group shipping would be divided up to it would put it around $100 total. While what I need for my tank would be only $75 with me paying for shipping from reefcleaners. I was looking to see if other members/non-members were needing things so that It would help everybody save with shipping as any order over $150 gets free shipping. I appriciate your concern and understand why you would want me to order from keyscrittiers but I don't really see it a viable economic option for a reefer on a budget.

PS I do llike keyscritters selection by the way, and would mind getting a few inverts from them, maybe in the future when the good lord decides to bless me and my family with more money I may get in on the next group buy.

12. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    OK, I understand better now. I thought that I had checked around really good to make sure that Keys was giving us the most aggressive pricing around so your post just caught me by surprise. Yeah, this economy is hurting everyone. Everything costs more and not many people are getting more money to compensate for the increases...

If you change your mind, you may want to see if there is anyone from the DSM area that will assist you with transportation of your order since I know many of them will be going right down I-80 to attend Fall Fest. Good luck with everything!

--AJ