1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Classless people on the Buy/Sell forums

Discussion in 'Buy/Sell/Trade' started by xroads, Aug 12, 2009.

1. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0

For you people that like to buy & sell stuff in the club forums, please have some manners & display some class.
    For example:
    When you call someone on an item that is being sold, & you are told "I am sorry I sold it allready"
    Do not respond by saying "Hey, I will give you an exta $20, or $50 or whatever if you sell it to me"
    Or if you are selling an item, dont advertise it as being almost new when it is 5 years old, or in perfect health if it obviously is not.
    Also refrain from telling someone "I wouldnt buy that from him, he ripped me off allready" just so you can go buy it.
    You do nothing but make yourself look stupid & degrade the integrity & spirit of the club.
    Craig

2. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I second that.

Craig, you are one level headed guy. Must have been a few instances to set you off like this.

3. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I second that as well.... being honest up front goes a long ways.
    I won't mention the member but I ended up with a very poor quality SPS frag, (VERY poor color and poor health) The that person should have done some research on what that particular frag should look like and/or should have known to start with, I have looked at these particular frags MANY times at other locations and know what it should have looked like. It has been over a month now and its finally coloring back up as it SHOULD have been. I also noticed this person had advertised a dead piece of coral for sale and offered me a frag of it, it was VERY obvious it was dead, no question!!
    Lesson learned, get photos!

4. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I wish we had a buy/sell feedback app on this site. I'm sure if one existed that JB would have already had it on here...maybe we need a forum for buyer/seller feedback.

--AJ

5. Jtown

Jtown Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I had somebody sent me an email when I first joined GIRS telling me to not buy and R/O unit I was about to buy because he knows the guy and it leaks. The guy I was buying it from told me the same guy was emailing him all the while offering to come pick it up right away. I think a good ole' fashion *** whoppin' would solve this in the future. LOL Desperate people make me laugh...

P.S. The MP40 is still going strong Craig. Exact condition you said it was in... LOL

6. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    While I do agree with the OP, I must say I feel discussing this does little to no good. It is common sense not to lie about things like that. It is not like the people doing it don't know they are doing wrong...

7. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well, it would be nice to get some type of rating system... I am fairly certain in my case he (with his years of experience) knew what a frag should look like.

8. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My best suggestion is ask around and don't pay for something you haven't seen. If I went to pickup something and it was different than described there would be no way I would pay for it. Rating system would be cool, although that can hurt the new people, or those who do not sell/buy a lot. At the end of the day, it happens and there really isn't much that can be done to stop it. Look at eBay. They make a business out of private selling of items and there are scams going on there left and right. The way I look at it... I am buying something used probably for way less than what I would pay at the store. Even after losses (unless you are really unlucky) you will end up paying MUCH less than what retail would have been when you total everything you have purchased privately.

9. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    My main ***** was the trying to offer more money for items that are allready sold. Or lying to someone to try & get something bought that you really want.

I have seen more & more of it on here lately. When we only had 40-50 members it didnt happen much/ever because everyone knew everyone real well.

10. Faj

Faj Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Gotta agree with this one. I am relatively new to this site and have gone 0/3 with folks on this site selling stuff. Each person agreed to sell me the item but then refused to call me back or return my e-mail. I have to assume what is being described by you has happened to me. I certainly don't think the entire group is like this, but it really makes it hard for me to want to join the club when you are always getting stiffed. I know there are some great people on this site that have been really helpful so a rating system might help keep everyone honest.

11. ruggerkc Experienced Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

North Liberty , IA
    Ratings:
    +183 / 3 / -0
    My buy and sell experiences with GIRS have all been excellent. I have met some really interesting people with some really neat stuff.

12. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You know if nothing else, this post brings some of the problems out in the open and we are all more aware. Those doing some of these things will hopefully see this post and watch what they do.

13. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I believe this was one of the main reasons why we have a member and non-member BST forum.

I think it would be less of a chance of this stuff happening, if they were members and attended the clubs events.

Once, I drove to Cedar Rapids and got stiffed by a guy. But thank God Troy was home so I could pick up some stuff from him as well.

14. matt1971 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    My experiences overall have been really good and it has definately been worth the membership fee.

15. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Mine for the most part have been good as well other than the one I listed above.

I do my best to make things right when I sell.