1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Chat Software Testing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JB, Nov 7, 2007.

1. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I installed a 30 day evaluation copy of some new chat software.  I might switch our main chat over to this for a couple of weeks while we test it out..
    I haven't added it to the menu yet, but you can try it out in the link below.   It's pretty vanilla right now.
    Try out the new chat software.
    Maybe we can get a room full of people in there tonight and see how it works.   Let me know what you think.
    -JB

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    does this save whatever other people write?
    i can see a few things and no one is actually in there... hmmm...
    i will check later to see if anyone is in there.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    every night at 7. i like that.it would be awesome to get a regular chat time..

4. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    It keeps a buffer of the last few things that were said so someone just joining the chat can see what's been going on. The size of the buffer is adjustable.

-JB

5. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I've pointed our chat link at the evaluation software for now. We've got it for about 30 days.

-JB

6. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    They just released an update this morning that supposedly fixes some/all of the bugs we found yesterday. I just installed it so maybe tonight we can verify that they are fixed.

7. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I like the new software....can it allow us to moderate chat during a meeting or if we have a speaker?

thanks eins

8. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Yes, it has a moderation mode.  In fact I turned it on once by mistake the other night.

My only complaint about the software is that you can't hear any audible notification when someone says something in chat.   This is really useful when things are kind of slow in chat and you're looking at a different browser window.  Other than that, it seems to work pretty good.
    -JB

9. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Posted By jbrunken on 11/10/2007 1:25 PM

My only complaint about the software is that you can't hear any audible notification when someone says something in chat.   This is really useful when things are kind of slow in chat and you're looking at a different browser window.  Other than that, it seems to work pretty good.
    -JB
    I agree.  I did hear some audible things when people joined or left.  But it would be nice if there was something when people posted.
    GOTTA GET THE  "WHIP" BACK!!!    /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/w00t.gif

10. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I just put up a new version of this software that supposedly may help with the frequent disconnects that some users experience with this software.

If you've been having trouble with the evaluation version, give it another try and let me know if you are still having problems.

-JB