1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Solved Changed my mind

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FishBrain, Oct 25, 2016.

1. yankieman Well-Known ReefKeeper

Monmouth, IL
    Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    Just so you know your not the only on who ever delt with people with disabilities my daughter died 2 years ago at age 29 after being mentaly handicaped her whole life ,, so why dont we just drop it , and move on ,,?

2. MadManMadrid Well-Known ReefKeeper

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +158 / 4 / -0
    And my birth mom who wasnt around much had cancer came to live with me and my grandparents where i watched as she died over the course of 2 years and how the meds and radiation messed with her brain and how impaired she was. Then dad <my grandparents> fall into a spiral of depression trying to kill himself on a weekly basis by pills, car accidents, running away to other towns, sleeping on train tracks, in and out of mental hospitals and the actual hospital rooms and about 2 years ago my mom <grandparents again> is starting to slip in memory when she asks a question she will ask it 3 or 4 times in a row. So thats what i had to deal with @yankieman@yankieman. And im truely sorry about daughter that is something no parent should have to go through is a loss of a child.

3. That thread must be hidden along with Hilary Clintons emails.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    I don't know why the moderation function was not working right so I have at least temporarily locked this thread until I can figure that out. But the other thread will be restored to the members section

BoD members, please refrain from posting to this thread while it is locked (they can bypass the lock)

5. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    done

6. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Alright so the deal is that I thought there was a way to place a single thread into "moderation" so that all replies would be held for review but there is not. So I'll unlock the thread, and while this all might take some time for everyone to get it all out of their system hopefully it can continue forward with civility.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Here is what I added to the last post of the SF thread that was moved

If you wish to discuss the fest further there is a public thread where you may do so here:
    Advice? - GIRS Future Events Discussion

Please see this announcement publicly posted by me and please accept my apologies for my outburst in this thread and understand that I am in the process of stepping away from direct active leadership due to it:
    Attention: Everyone

There is some additional discussion in this public thread as well (note, you are currently reading this thread...)
    Due to the current hypocrisy in this club I quit

If you wish to contact the Board of Directors privately, there is a sub forum for that.
    Anything that you post in that sub-forum will only be visible to YOU and the members of the Board of Directors (elected and appointed members) and nothing discussed will be made public.
    https://www.greateriowareefsociety.org/forums/questions-for-the-bod.65/

We are hoping that these flames will dwindle over time and that no one will continue to vigorously fan them, but I for one understand that this may take time. All I ask is that we keep it civil from now on.

7. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    It has been noted, and also note that while this is not an excuse it was not a public post, that comment was made in a BoD discussion.

I agree that any kind of disorder is not something that one should make fun of. I honestly don't think that was the case here.

I think frustrations were being vented and arguably it was done inappropriately but people are people and emotions can run high.

I don't think that a disorder was being used as a blanket excuse for all actions either.

What I will say is simply this: there is only so much latitude you can give one person once all things are taken into account.

I try to give everyone some latitude, some more than others, and address issues as appropriately as possible, but that doesn't mean I'm blind, ignorant, or hypocritical. There is no guideline written for how to deal with people. This kind of stuff isn't easy.

8. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    I'm hoping that this will be the final note on the disorder discussion.

Things have been aired out my multiple people in a manner that goes against the User Agreement. i.e. posting certain things in public or member forums that should not have been posted.

Following the letter of the "law" would mean discipline is in order.

This is where that latitude thing comes into play.

Quite a few people, including myself, have been given some latitude. Where to go from here? Well I think that it would be pretty hypocritical if I or the BoD would start to delve out discipline and pick and choose who gets the stick and who doesn't.

So let's just put an end to that kind of action, please. The action I am talking about it stuff that clearly violates the user agreement

I'm still willing to listen to the discussion and allow some latitude but let's not take it too far.

If you want to vent, and you think it might cross the line, you can vent to the BoD in that private dicussion/thread link I posted above, and if you don't think you can trust someone that might see that, find someone you think you can trust to discuss that with and contact them on PM. Mine is back available now. I've had phone conversations with several people and I think they turned out OK.

9. yankieman Well-Known ReefKeeper

Monmouth, IL
    Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    You have my sympathy sir I am sure most people here have had pain and suffering in their lives and I don't think there is one person in GIRS that didn't support people with disabilities,, but this club is more for us to use as a tool to forget things like that by thinking of corals and fish so let's try and move on

10. avratney

Aurora
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    These comments about disability and racism is very disturbing for those of us that are new to the club especially for me and my wife as some of u at fall festival saw we have a son that is severely handicap and my daughter is 1/4 Hispanic we did not join this club for drama and to be offended we hope this is over soon as it seems to be destroying the club

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  11. B_Braz

B_Braz Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +106 / 1 / -0
    It's over. Time for everyone to turn the page.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    If you read all the posts about this, it will become clear to you that there was no racism occurring of any kind whatsoever. That was a completely unfounded accusation.

As for the disability issue, no one was making fun of anyone with any kind of disability.

This action (banning) was about a very very long term issue. On the surface, if you are new to the club or just the occasional visitor, it might seem otherwise.

13. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +397 / 6 / -0
    I have decided not to quit and actually to go the other way and become more involved.

14. hart

hart Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    Awesome. I have also been thinking about becoming more involved as well.

15. StoneFunk

Polk City, IA
    Ratings:
    +20 / 2 / -0
    Glad to hear this. I have learned a ton from reading the posts of you more experienced guys/gals and am happy that there are way more seasoned people than myself here.

16. Ray/Jen_Reefin 2016 Vice President / 2015 Volunteer of the year.

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +459 / 5 / -0
    At a boy, Way to stick with it! Lol
    Glad to hear good news!

17. F.D. Reefer Well-Known ReefKeeper

Fort dodge
    Ratings:
    +98 / 1 / -0
    Good to hear people are hangin in!
    Hats off to armydog!
    There has never been so much activity on GIRS and it's nice to c

Sent from my iPhone via App

• Like Like x 1
    • Ninja'd Ninja'd x 1
    • List
  18. Maureen Experienced Reefkeeper

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0
    I think this is called finding the silver lining ;)

19. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Well....:D:D

Statistics 9 years.JPG

Officially, January 2013 holds the record for most activity ever. Not sure what as so special about that month....

20. F.D. Reefer Well-Known ReefKeeper

Fort dodge
    Ratings:
    +98 / 1 / -0
    Can we see activity since feb 2016?
    My bad it's there.
    That Looks terrible.

Sent from my iPhone via App