1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Solved Changed my mind

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FishBrain, Oct 25, 2016.

1. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    I'm glad to see you posting this, although I can certainly see why you reacted like you did. It was bad the way things went down from any perspective. Nobody wanted it to come to that, and nobody certainly wanted it to play out like that. $hit got emotional and heated pretty quick and I hope more people step up like you have and offer a sincere apology to the club members.
    I would hope that in time you can look past all the BS that just went down and trust that in no way is it a representation of anything that this club is about and decide to remain an active, and involved part of this community. You have helped a great deal in the growth and activity of the club in recent years. And I believe you did it because you truly love the community that this hobby has created and how the club can bring those people together as friends. It would be a huge loss to have you part ways on a sour note with the club.

2. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    On my drive home I thought about a few things.

I wrote above that there is no conclusive proof that tells us who the mole was or is. I say that because it really could be someone else and the frustrating reality is that they still might be on the board

Until that person gets some cohones and steps forward and provides proof in the form of their phone in their hand with the text of the screenshot that was sent to the vendor, I won't fully believe anyone as that is all hearsay

That's why I never pointed the finger. And let's be clear here, I have not pointed the finger. All I have laid out are the facts that I know of. And not all of them are necessarily hard written in stone but they're pretty good overall.

But let's be 100% clear. Someone (maybe more than one) is hell bent on bringing down GIRS. They might be just hell bent on bringing down one or two people but their actions have really ****ed things up badly whether they intended it to or not.

I'm writing all of this because it deserves to be known to the members that love this club. Someone hates it. Or someone hates the way it's being run and wants to do a hostile takeover or something.

Even better, believe it or not, there were actually 2 moles. I know for a fact who one of them was because Donny actually told me, but asked that I not bring them down and I won't. I know who is was and I'm pretty sure you know that I know. But it wasn't really that bad and it didn't do any damage so I let that go a long time ago. Plus I really brought that on myself and owned that and apologized for what I said that led to that.

^^edited that a bit as is sounded kinda like a veiled warning which it wasn't meant to

I really don't have a doubt that one way or another, GIRS was going to go through a rocky crash and burn because of this whole situation. We were pretty much f-d either way.

You wanna make me or Craig or any other member of the BoD the bad guy in this situation go right ahead. We're for the club. Someone is not.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  3. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    That's prettty much it. I got it all out really.

I just felt it had to be clear to everyone what exactly went down and why some things were they way they were this year.

Everyone deserves to know why this all blew up.

The bottom line is

This is a friggin reefkeping club. Let it be a reefkeeping club and either stop trying to bring it down and love it and be a part of it...or walk away

4. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +397 / 6 / -0
    [QUOTE We're got the club. Someone is not.[/QUOTE]
    Not sure what you meant here Bud?

I do see both sides of this. That being said everyone is using the past to justify what happened. Nothing was said in the spring fest thread from what I saw to warrant any of this. And you said yourself Donny was doing much better recently.

5. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +397 / 6 / -0
    The racism comment was just Donny lashing out after he knew he was going to be banned. You would have been pissed at that point to.

6. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    It was totally unjustifiable.

7. Maureen Experienced Reefkeeper

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0
    I agree Hunter, we need to get back to fish and corals, or corals and fish. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +397 / 6 / -0
    Right, I agree. But can't be used to justify the ban either.

This is my last comment

Bill

9. MadManMadrid Well-Known ReefKeeper

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +158 / 4 / -0
    So before i start i want to explain why i dont take **** from anyone anymore. I was raised in a religion pretty well known one. Your week consisted of 3 meetings a week plus going door to door on the weekends plus studying for every meeting. That was your life. I tried to be apart of it just never had that thirst for anything spiritual. And still dont to this day. Well i was 19 or 20 i was married it was a pretty ****ty first year to that marriage and a best friend of mine and i mean ride and die what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas kinda thing was getting kicked out of the religion. When someone does something wrong and the uppers find out about it you get a private meeting to find out what can be done to fix your sin. I had been in that room for playing call of duty, sleeping meds <long story>, paintball, and drinking. And for him it was to be kicked out not to be talked to or you get punished as well. So i decided to drink shots till i passed out. So i cracked a new bottle of tequila chopped some limes sit on my lovely inflatable sofa. Well i get to shot 5 a knock on door mom comes in asks whats wrong i say nothing take another then when i get to about half way through with the bottle i black out. When i come to there is a 20gauge shot gun loaded finger on the trigger i reallllly wanted that gun to go off like so bad. Then i blacked out wake up in the shower wife gets home and says what did you do i said i got really drunk. Blacked out again when i woke up i was standing the the living room mom and dad and the wife standing there im telling them how ****ed up this was. Next day i came out a new person i said **** this life im done. I left the wife i moved out on my own stopped going to church and what do i get? I loose my whole family because i got kicked out of the church. And they cant talk to me so to avoid dealing with them i moved 16.5 hours away. I lost all my friends. I keep my friends list small and tight knit. For 1 good friends are hard to come by in this world so damn straight ill fight till there is no life left in me. And anyone that knows me can see that. From that day forward i dont take any crap and i cant stand people ragging on peoples livelihoods, peoples disabilities, and people who can talk some mad crap behind private conversation on the bod. So lets start this coming to Jesus meeting. No offense bill

1. going back to vendors shouldn't make any money is crap. If vendors dont make money, most time they wont come back. And they will let other vendors know. Time is money to these people. Thats why at the ff i spent money with every person there except 1 person and that guy was dave. Because i didnt want to kill any of his nice sps he had.

2. The brackish show. I have seen how well those shows do for saltwater sellers. Its not so great.

3. I was planning on stepping down from assistant trustee before ff but nick needed the help. Bod future fests need to be planned out way ahead of time. It sucked trust me. So i was going to step down after that and nick was the one that kept me going and also talking with drewster when he got the par meter.

4. As for the the presidential thread im not a member mine expired because i had no plans on renewing it after how i seen what goes on the the bod. So for that idk what went on in that thread.

5. Bud lets start with you. You do so ****ing much for this club. You pull so much work out of your *** its not funny nobody could do what you do. You need member of the year award. Seriously. But bud you should have stepped down after that vacation to Florida thing happened. Family should come first club be damned. Some people dont have family so make the best of yours.

6. Ray idk want to even say. I dont hate you i just mildly dislike you. Untill yesterday and i cant really stand you. Talking about a disability is some place a man shouldn't go. If the readers want to know what im talking about you keep pushing for open bod discussion of the poll thread. I know what it says so i hope it stays the same.

6. Craig i have come to you for advice on qt tanks and general knowledge. And it was helpful. Thats all i got to say about you the rest isnt polite.

7. This is for the general bod i didnt come here to start problems but when the dust flies i can stand my own and ill stand with my friends. I do not apologize for anything that i said yesterday. And i still stand by my second to last post on donnys fresh water saltwater thread. Which reads "this is not how the bod should act in the public. Its time to grow the **** up put on your big girl panties on and move on."

This is all i got to say on this subject i will not say anything more. I am done.and no im not cussing in anger thats just how i talk on a day to day basis.

10. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    It's the negativity, and condescending remarks that he brings to the threads in discussions like that, the remarks about the people who have put in countless hours of volunteered time for the good of the club. Something he has been warned about time and time again. I can not see how it's not done on purpose to lure people into more heated discussions and taking discussions south. Then claims he is the victim and was just defending himself. He approaches things he doesn't agree with absolutely negative and then does his best to trash them as much as possible. That includes trashing the people who have been working to come up with a plan to makes those things work for the club. It's not about his difference of opinion, but the way he expresses those opinions.

It's time and time again, and with countless people. Donny and Craig, Donny and Nik, Donny and Eric, Donny and Terry, Donny and Ray, Donny and a lot of past and current BOD members. A lot of people that have proven they are willing to step up, volunteer time and try and do some good for this club are being driven away from that by one singular person and the way he talks about them and posts on this forum. Sure you can say maybe people just need to get thicker skin and not take what he posts so seriously, but when it's that many people, I'm sorry but it's time to get rid off the problem.

The worst part is it seems like it would be so simple for him to just not include those condescending remarks and negative attitude in his posts. He does bring a different opinion and some decent discussion to the forums, he was doing a great job with the Des Moines region and vendor relations, but he just couldn't quit with the attitude and negativity towards other members of the club and BOD. Chance after chance he's proven he can't change his ways and would rather insult and bring down than work in a cooperative and positive way to make things better.

Looking back on how things have went, and being able to see the past and current BOD discussions and the problems created on the forums I think the decision to ban Donny should have happened years ago when it was clear he was going to be a problem on the forums. I think letting someone with that type of attitude and online behavior continue to be a part of this forum is a mistake and things build and swell over time until the blow up ends in a much more spectacular way as we saw go down the other day.

11. Hunter

Garner
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    So there I was receiving my brand new setup from GIRS because everyone loved me for getting everyone to look back at the pretty fish. Or the pretty corals.....

On the positive side of things I saw my first real saltwater tank tonight and I'm still drooling over the corals. .....I definitely like the squishy ones haha! I need to get me one of them bull fish for the horns lol

12. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    hey @Hunter@Hunter, you can always start a new thread and talk about what you want to do for your setup - I take it you don't have a tank right now?

13. Hunter

Garner
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I'm honestly just trying to get us to move on from this disaster. This is like someone died, talk about the good they brought not the bad......Or this is a bad breakup, just forget and move on.

Bud I don't know you from a load of coal, but I hope to someday meet you. My only advice is as a leader, move on, don't explain your rationalization, just move on. leaders don't explain, bitching always goes up, never ever down. The leader takes all of the flak, he never states why, unless the leader needs a board to make decisions.

If that is the case then there is no leader, only a speaker for the board.

In the old expression; **** or get off the pot.......

We create more drama by not deleting this thread and dropping it than anything.

So yes I do my best to ease tension and get us back to a group that will bring in new members and encourage others such as myself to join.

So please stop bitching about the problem child that has been removed and what he did or didn't do.....
    Start fixing the problem, or just close the group because it is doomed if you can't get over the past digressions.

14. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Well put Hunter and I do agree. The up/down description is what I have always tried to follow but I also feel that at times, there are exceptions. But it's not something that all of us plan on dwelling on forever.

The up swing is already happening as several people have volunteered to take positions and help

I'm pretty sure at this point that all has been more or less aired out.

We'll consider locking the thread but maybe not quite yet.

Anyone can have a private discussion with only the BoD members here:

https://www.greateriowareefsociety.org/forums/questions-for-the-bod.65/

15. MadManMadrid Well-Known ReefKeeper

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +158 / 4 / -0
    I was going to leave this alone but i forgot to give ray credit where credit is due. After he made his knuckle dragger comment about how ptsd was a cop out for donny i get this message in my inbox after i told him how ****ed up his comment was:

I Apologize if you took direct offence to the comment. It was in fact a statement. I know a number of people with the PTSD, I really do. and they function well on a day to day. But it has been flung around many times. I did not in any way want to offend anyone on my statement. And truly NO disrespect to the men and woman that served out great country!!!! My Apologize to you and your girlfriend..

To which i never responded. Then after i put his *** on blast yesterday i get this message in my inbox:

I really don't care if you don't like me! Or even hate me!
    What I posted was towards only one person! You have no clue on what has been said in the past on how many times he has used that term every time he has been backed into a corner. I myself have a cousin with the very same issue! But he doesn't fling it around like loose change! That was the purpose of me saying that!
    It's in the threads if you don't believe me. I wasn't disgracing Anyone with that. It's sad that someone uses that when they are in a corner . That was the point I was getting at . BTW I did edit my post due to the fact it was not proper the way I posted it!

Ray i dont hate you those spots are reserved for the extra special people 1st being a upper at the church 2nd being a old best friend who stabbed me in the back 5 times 3rd was a girl who ruined my trust. So no ray i dont hate you just cant stand you i already told you that. I dont give a rats *** if you know 1 person or 1000 people or even everyone with with ptsd and even then you would know that not everyone can deal with it the same. And also just because you know someone with it doesnt give you the right to talk about it the way you did. The reason i posted this in the public is because im tired of **** being private.

16. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    In an effort to try to put out this fire and move on, this thread has been placed into moderation mode. Any further replies will be held in a moderation queue and posts will be approved on a case by case basis.

**note to BoD members: your posts will bypass the moderation mode and will be immediately publicly visible.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  17. yankieman Well-Known ReefKeeper

Monmouth, IL
    Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    Dude you might want to apply for a job at Wikileaks

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  18. Still wondering why the other thread was hidden.

19. MadManMadrid Well-Known ReefKeeper

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +158 / 4 / -0
    You know that was really funny. High five for that one! I have been thinking about getting out of the transport business. But what i find sad is no one on the bod has said anything about one of their own members talking about a persons disability and how messed up it is under any circumstances. And because of that yall are no better than that comment. Im sorry i can stand up for disabilities. I havent said anything baf about anyone that didnt need it. If you look at it all you wony find anything i have said that was bad. It was all your own words not mine. Honestly i know this wont make it to the thread because the bod doesnt want to start another **** storm. But i hope yall just think about that.

20. It made it to the thread.

They still have the other thread hidden for some reason? But they leave this one and the other one where he called the other guy raciest.

Doesn't make much since to me