1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

For Sale CAUTION

Discussion in 'Buy/Sell/Trade' started by MadManMadrid, Aug 21, 2016.

1. GoodGreef Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive, IA
    Ratings:
    +239 / 2 / -0
    I had a similar issue and my only conclusion is it was the Seachem Fuel I started dosing. My levels never changed but I got a hair algae outbreak and some random deaths of snails and slow coral growth. My algae scrubber also wasn't growing as well as it had. I don't know exactly what it was but manual removal of the hair algae didn't help until I stopped dosing Fuel. Once I did that, my manual removal helped and it stopped growing back and my corals started growing again. My scrubber has also started growing a mat like it did before.

2. MadManMadrid Well-Known ReefKeeper

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +158 / 4 / -0
    @jeremy@jeremy did you mean move it to the 40 breeder thats already established?
    @GoodGreef@GoodGreef the only thing i dose is the biopelets and mysis shrimp i dont toss much into my tank at all.
    Yea im going to go ahead and just start the whole tank over its getting to that poiny where i need to do something drastic if its gonna go away. Plus its a good time to redo the floors

3. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    If possible the 40b. If not a 10 gallon with some established rock.

4. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    If you're going fishless you'll break the life cycle of any ich that doesn't have a host. Then proper QT when you start up again.

5. Fishunt Nano Nano

Norwalk
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Fwiw, have you looked into hydrogen peroxide treatement of the offending rocks/trouble areas?

Worked pretty well with an outbtreak that I had and didn't have to tear down the whole system.

6. MadManMadrid Well-Known ReefKeeper

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +158 / 4 / -0
    Yea there for a while i was trying to use hydrogen peroxide to kill the algae it would knock ot down for a few days but then it would just come right back

7. chromess 01

chromess 01

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Tried elevated mag?

8. MadManMadrid Well-Known ReefKeeper

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +158 / 4 / -0
    Thats the one thing i didnt do. Was kinda uneasy about it lol.

9. Drewster

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    Do you vodka dose? Or have you tried that in the past? I had a bunch of rock that had bound up phosphate and was causing lots of hair algae that I couldn't get under control. The vodka dosing did the trick for me.

10. MadManMadrid Well-Known ReefKeeper

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +158 / 4 / -0
    Yes i tried vinigar i dosed small amounta in the 40 breeder to see of it would work and it actually got worse instead of cleaning the glass every 5 days it whent to every other day.

11. Borky00 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Lisbon
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    Zach I just finished cooing my rock (well the half of it that I put in dry) and it took about 3 months for the Phosphates to drop to a level I was comfortable with. I am still battling a little bit of hair algae bit nothing like it use to be. I can step you through the cooking process.

12. MadManMadrid Well-Known ReefKeeper

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +158 / 4 / -0
    Sweet pm sent

13. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Did you use anything to remove the phosphates like Lanthanum chloride, or GFO, or did you just rely on water changes? I'd be curious on your process as well.

14. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    That's the bryopsis treatment, you need to use a specific product (Kent Tech M) and it doesn't always work because certain strains are not susceptible to that treatment. Also I thought I read somewhere that they reformulated it and now it doesn't work anymore but I could be wrong about that.

kent magnesium bryopsis - Google Search

15. chromess 01

chromess 01

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Not sure. Ive been told to up mag for GHA. As for the Tech M, Ive heard alot of things. I saw a thread where someone emailed Kent asking what the working ingredient was, they said they didnt know. I recently had someone tell me Kent knows and had thought about marketing it as a bryopsis killer but there would be alot of red tape.

16. Borky00 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Lisbon
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    Dave, I only did water changes I wanted to try without chemicals. Like I said above I still have a little algae but nothing like before.