1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Caution when buying cheap aquarium online GLASSCAGES.COM

Discussion in 'Buy/Sell/Trade' started by Heathman, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Heathman

Heathman Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello Group:

I am posting this note to relate my unfortunate experience with buying a cut-rate aquarium from the Glasscages.com website online AKA Twin Oaks Terrariums.
    First of all I ordered a tank from them two years ago and was all excited to get it and then about three weeks before scheduled delivery, they sent an email saying they were cancelling my order because ther was not enough interest in that year's Des Moines show. What a bummer.
    So anyway I tried again this year and ordered an aquarium from them. I drove 50 miles to a truck stop in Des Moines last Sunday to meet these guys and get our tanks. Another fellow in the parking lot came all the way from Council Bluffs. We both waited for two hours and the driver never anwswered the cell phone number we had been given by the factory. He later claimed to be out of cell phone coverage right on I35 by Mason City. That sounded really strange to me because for about 6 years I designed cell phones, and I know there are towers all up and down the interstate highways.
    The guy finally shows up two hours late with two different lame excuses. The other fellow from CB called the factory and was able to get somebody there who told him that the driver had to wait on a late customer delivery earlier that morning, which put him behind schedule. Yet the driver gave us the story about having vehicle trouble and no cell phone coverage.
    The tank I bought was all tightly wrapped up with cellophane for some reason, and although I carefully inspected the glass to see it was not broken, when I got home I found that the plastic rim had a huge crack on one corner and was very sloppily glued with silicone RTV so that it bulged way out on that side, and the opposite corner had a bunch of gouge marks on it and some black paint or something that came off on my hand when I touched it.
    The factory ignored my request for help until I wrote back and threatened to call BBB and mastercard, which I have since done.  They accused me of lying, and then said they would have someone pick up the tank and then if I am lucky they will refund my money, to say nothing for the 4 hours I spent driving and waiting on them, and the fuel cost for friend's large truck to go get it.
    My advise is to use extreme caution if dealing with this place. Expect poor and rude service, if you are lucky enough to get any, and take a book with you when you go to pick up your aquarium, because you will be waiting around for them to take their sweet time if and when they ever show up.

2. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Welcome to the site.

They have had a horrible reputation for a long time. Anyone who orders from them should be at their own risk. That has been on feedback forums for years.

3. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sounds rather shady having to meet someone from a company in a parking lot somewhere just to get their product..........

4. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By phishcrazee on 03/26/2009 02:20 PM
    Sounds rather shady having to meet someone from a company in a parking lot somewhere just to get their product.......... My thoughts as well...  red flag!!!
    [​IMG]

5. cbort

cbort Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    i have also been teetering with ording a couple of their "coral tanks" 48x48x8T But have been hearing too many negative things. But every so often i will hear great things

6. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    Wow thanks i was just thinking of ordering 4 of there coral tanks 48x48 8t for frag grow tanks thought they would work great and a great price i think i'll pass now though!
    Thanks for the heads up!
    -Bill

7. cbort

cbort Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Don't get me wrong, maybe a tank that is only 8" tall they could possibly get it right? I have heard more horror stories than success tho...

8. Benji

Benji Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have had good experiences with GC in the past. You just have to realize what you are getting....which is, exactly what you pay for. Expect poor customer service, communication, and sloppy silicone work. Also, know that they do not cater to "hobbyists," their primary customer base is commercial/retail.

For the money they are great tanks. You can't expect an elos tank on a glass cage budget.

9. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    It doesn't take a rocket scientiest to seal a tank and make it look good. All it takes is 100% scilicone and some making tape.
    -Bill

10. Heathman

Heathman Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to provide decent service either, or to properly fix a simple inexpensive problem at the factory with a plastic rim instead of doing a shoddy repair job hoping the customer is too dumb to notice poor workmanship.

It doesn't (or shouldn't at least) matter whether the place caters to hobbiests or dealers, the result of poor service and poor workmanship is the same. When I hear back from their local BBB, I will be sure to ask for a rating, or how many complaints they have on file, just out of curiousity.
    Since I searched "glasscages.com complaints" on yahoo I came up with tons of info. I am joining a rather large chorus here!

11. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    oops mispelled masking tape lol

12. wolfman1973

wolfman1973 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    sorry to hear about your problems but you do get what you pay for and some of us in the hobby order from there because it is friendly on the wallet. i personally had a very positive order with them and would order from them again!!

13. Benji

Benji Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By heathman on 03/26/2009 09:02 PM

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to provide decent service either, or to properly fix a simple inexpensive problem at the factory with a plastic rim instead of doing a shoddy repair job hoping the customer is too dumb to notice poor workmanship.

It doesn't (or shouldn't at least) matter whether the place caters to hobbiests or dealers, the result of poor service and poor workmanship is the same. When I hear back from their local BBB, I will be sure to ask for a rating, or how many complaints they have on file, just out of curiousity.
    Since I searched "glasscages.com complaints" on yahoo I came up with tons of info. I am joining a rather large chorus here!
    Atleast you've learned one relatively cheap lesson that you can take with you on future endeavors in this hobby:
    Do your homework before you make the purchase (a simple search on any engine or forum would have yielded numerous stories of unhappy buyers, and a few satisfied customers with advice on what to expect from GC).
    Don't cut corners and purchase subpar equipment and expect premium performance.  There are exceptions to this as there are some DIY projects/retail products that can provide excellent value/performance but, finding these products will take abit effort (i.e. a forum or engine search).
    And in regards to their delivery method and your wait time; the delivery service they offer is a courtesy and provided at a reasonable price ($25-$100 depending on size).  If you were inconvenienced by the wait and drive you could have had the tank shipped to your door via UPS for acryllic and a private freight service for glass tanks for $200-$400.

14. ozymandias

ozymandias Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just out of curiosity, could you post pictures of this tank? I am a bit interested in seeing how bad the damage is on the tank.

15. Heathman

Heathman Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am happy to share photos. What is the absolute easiest way to get photos up? I read something about a photobucket account, but I am not really interested in opening any new computer accounts. Isn't there a simple way to copy and paste? Plain and simple please. Otherwise I am happy to email then to any interested party.

16. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You can load them straight to this site in the photo section

17. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Dont expect much from the BBB,

They are the most over hyped waste of an organiztion that you can get