1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

caulerpa is taking over

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jwess, Jun 3, 2008.

1. jwess

jwess

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Im about to give up on corals and just start a caulerpa farm.  Besides manually picking it out, is there any other way of getting rid of it?
    Josh

2. calebjk Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    any tang should demolish that stuff.

3. nick

nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    or foxface

4. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Josh, i fought that stuff for a couple years. I tried a lot of things like foxface lo's and tangs but they would never touch the stuff. It's weird the tangs i have now just tear it up if i throw a few bits in my current tank. So i am not sure if it is just hit or miss with fish or if the fish i had decided not to eat it because there was so much of it and they like fish food better. I think once its totally embedded and rooted into the rock there isn't much you can do except cook your rock. That stuff is nasty i really wish people would stop using it in aquariums.

Good luck.

5. jwess

jwess

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Thats seems to be what I have read.  The fish that are suposed to eat it usually dont.  I swear I have like every kind of caulerpa in the tank too. 

Josh

6. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i think urchins are about the only thing that touches it, even then you would need a few of them.

PS I have a small rock of GSP for you too. Let me know when I can drop it off.

7. calebjk Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i have a 75 gal with a lot of caulerpa in it and 3 weeks after adding my blue tang it was all gone. if you feed frequently though it may keep your fish from getting hungry enough to eat the caulerpa. i feed that tank frozen once a day.