1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

#$% cat...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JB, Apr 13, 2009.

1. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    So we got a 9 month old cat last week and she is of course very curious.   I was just watching TV and I heard a bit "clunk".   When I went into my office, I found her balancing precariously on top of my canopy (which stands about 7' tall and has an open top).
    I guess I have to find a way to mount egg crate on the top of my canopy or come up with some solution so that curiosity doesn't kill the cat (literally).
    /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/sad.gif
    -JB

2. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wow...scary. Can you imagine the havoc if that cat were to fall in (and of course freak out like any cat in water) and try to use your corals to climb out of the tank?!

3. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    I don't know what you paid for that cat probaly free I don't know what you have into your tank but probaly thousands. So lets see free cat thousands of dollars aquarium dude get rid of the cat!!!!!

4. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    The cat is more important to my children than my tank, so ultimately it is more important to me. I'm not going to get rid of the their cat over a problem that $20 worth of egg crate can solve... How good of a dad would that make me?

Besides, I like the cat... Just don't like it climbing on my tank...

5. Shaun

Shaun Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well said

6. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    Ah did not know it was the kids cat.

7. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    Sounds like you are a realy good father.

8. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    our cat likes to look into my tank, i've seen it try and stick its paws in once, never has it tried to get on top of it though.......i need to fix the top of my tank soon.....haha

9. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Just make it harder to get up there, maybe move your desk over?

just a thought.

10. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    She didn't use the desk to get up there, she used the back of my office chair.   It's not that big of a problem as long as I keep the chair away from the tank, but if I'm sitting at my desk, she can get up there.   Usually though, that's not an issue because if I'm using the computer, she's more interested in annoying the crap out of my by sitting in front of the monitor and pawing at the mouse pointer.

11. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

LOL thats too funny![​IMG]
    My two cats were into my 30g for a few days but soon got board when they knew they couldn't get any thing.

You could use the spray bottle to train it to stay down also.
    Just watch you'r co2 and air lines, for some reason one of my cats like to chew on mine, and puts little holes all over it.[​IMG]

12. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Good to read that it is not $$ over a pet for you! Just scare the cat by making a loud noise or something whenever it gets near the tank. Will teach it not to mess around it and keep the cat and your tank sake :)

13. coral_bandit

coral_bandit Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    my cat tries to drink the water so I keep the cat downstairs

14. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My thoughts on this subject.
    Here

15. Phathead

Phathead Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I would say the egg crate is a good idea but you might want to go to menards and grab some black screen that is made for people with dogs so they dont ruin screens all the time. If you put a layer on top of the egg crate the cat could stilll walk up there and be safe and no hair will get in the tank from the cat, also it is made of plastic so it wont rust. Just a thought.

16. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hey, great idea. I think with the way my canopy is built, just stapling the screen to the canopy would be enough. My main concern is that the cat doesn't fall through when she jumps up there.

-JB

17. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Isn't that the same stuff that people recommend for reducing the amount of light in order to acclimate corals from lower light to higher light? I would be concerned about reducing your PAR by putting on the screen.

--AJ

18. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Yes, but I want to put it on the top of my canopy, not between the lights and the water. Kind of a kitty circus net so if she jumps up there and misses the cross beam, she won't fall through.

19. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Gotcha...sorry..I was thinking differently. Makes sense to put it there. :)

20. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Problem solved with pet proof screen and a staple gun.   Total cost: $14.00
    Keeps the cat out but still lets the heat out of the canopy.
    /Portals/0/activeforums_Attach/IMG_2778.JPG