1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Carbon questions.....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by phishcrazee, Nov 23, 2008.

1. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    For those who use carbon in their tanks, how often do you change it?  How much do you use (please tell me the size of your system)?  Any way to tell when the carbon is spent?

2. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I change it out every month on a 120 gallons. You can tell when you need carbon because your tank isn't as clear or look polished anymore.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    will carbon kill xenia?

4. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By racecar34 on 11/23/2008 07:57 PM
    will carbon kill xenia?
    Unfortunately not. /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/sad.gif

5. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I'm also curious how most people run carbon in their system and how much they run per gallon of water.

Reactor?
    media bag in sump?
    Dump it loose in your display tank?

6. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I put my carbon in some panty hose and throw it in my sump and that is it.   I have it layered though.  On top I have magnum 350 filter pads on top, panty hose of Phosban, and on the bottom of the baffle the carbon.
    I never heard anyone putting carbon is the display tank.

7. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Am I the only one who uses carbon for their substrate?  Provides a nice sandbed and polishes the water at the same time.

8. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

LOL. I think so.

I'M going to use a phos ban reactor with carbon in it, that way the water has no choice but to flow through the carbon.
    should work fine.

9. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I have a phosban reactor but I use phosphate media in it. I'm thinking of selling it and getting a 2 reactor combo, one for phosphate and one for carbon that they sell at bulkreefsupply.
    Sexy

10. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    quick question, why couldn't you put carbon and phosphate media in the phosban, carbon on bottom and the phosphate media on top so it can tumble.

11. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You could do that, I would put something between the two to keep them separate. ( a thin layer of mesh or something on that order )
    Phishcrazee, to answer your question I would say it all depends on your bio-load, ( how often you feed, how much, size and number of fish-corals).
    The more often the better.