1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

carbon/phosphate remover

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by smw0522, Oct 30, 2009.

1. smw0522

smw0522 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank goodness for forums, I've got another question:)

I would like to buy some carbon and some phosphate remover in bulk. Is there a place locally that sells it in bulk so I don't have to pay shipping costs, or is online my best option? I had some previously from I think it was bulkreef I may try that again. Just want to find the cheapest option. I'm thinking bulk is cheaper as I went through my small phosphate remover can I bought locally in 1 month (and it wasn't cheap) Part of the problem was I screwed the top off and the can was only like 1/3 full.

Notice a theme here??? my husband used the words money pit and tank in the same sentence earlier this week, uh oh!!! hence the focus on "cheapest option" :) thank goodness he also appreciates the beauty of it when it is looking good or I'd really be in trouble!!

Also couple other related questions. Do I need to keep the carbon and phosphate remover in separate filter bags? And do I need to rinse before putting it in the back chamber, if so is tap water ok??? I have a 29 gallon tank. How much of each should I be putting in and how often to switch it out?

Sorry about all the questions! I can only hope some day I'll have the answers and can start helping others out as well.:)

2. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    OK...I'll try to answer all those questions:

I think Bulk Reef Supply has the best prices...even with paying the shipping charge.   You know what would be ideal, is if Pet's Playhouse started stocking the Bulk Reef Supply product line so we had a local source for their products; but until they do, online is the way to go.

I purchased a large quantity when it was on special last month and I would be willing to sell you a portion of what I purchased. We can work out specifics over PM.
    Here's a link to the GFO - http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/Carbon-and-Phosphate-Remover-GFO-Phosphate-Remover-%28GFO%29-High-Capacity-GFO/c109_8_89/index.html
    Here's a link to the carbon - http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/Carbon-and-Phosphate-Remover-GFO-Bulk-Carbon/c109_6/p349/1.5-Pounds-Premium-ROX-0.8-Carbon/product_info.html

Here's what the guys at Bulk Reef Supply have to say about how much GFO to use when using a media bag:
    1. Determine the amount of GFO needed. Start with 2 grams per gallon of water in the system. After a few months the organisms in the tank will have adjusted to the lower phosphate environment. At this time the amount of Granular and Pelletized GFO can be increased to 3-5 grams per gallon of water. Please note that these amounts are suggested starting points. As each tank is different it may be necessary to vary the amount used for better results.
    2. Rinse the GFO. Rinse with RO/DI water or water from the tank to remove the dust created from storage and transport. Avoid grinding the material back and forth as this will cause more dust. Simple let the water run over the mesh bag or gently swish the bag through the water.
    3. Place the bag in an area of the tank with good flow, such as the sump.

Carbon and GFO can and frequently are mixed together. Ideally, a media reactor is the best situation for using your carbon and GFO because it does a better job of making sure that the water is going thru the media and not around it. The water will always take the path of least resistance, and if you don't have your media bag in a place that forces the water to pass thru it, it will simply flow around it and not do you much good. If you're going to use a media bag, place it in a location that forces the water to pass thru it.

If you decide to use a reactor at some point in the future, here's a few things to keep in mind...
    GFO can grind down and release filings into your tank...you don't want that. The proper amount of flow is just enough water so that you see the top of the GFO tumbling gently.
    Carbon can clump into a block when detritus makes its way into the carbon. Carbon can be run at a higher flow rate to prevent clumping.

I rinse my carbon and GFO in tap water. Some people say (including the BRS guys) that you should use RO water, but I figure for the short amount of time that I have it under tap water, it's not going to absorb enough stuff to significantly reduce the life of the media.

I think that's all your questions. Let me know if you have any others.

--AJ

3. Diesel Powered

Diesel Powered Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I can get you carbon by the cubic foot.. how much do you want? One pallet or two? /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/shocked.gif

4. smw0522

smw0522 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Diesel but I think that's a little more than what I'm looking for. :)

Thanks for the info AJ and I just sent you a PM.

5. smw0522

smw0522 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I want to make sure I'm putting in the right amount of carbon/phosphate remover. I was wondering does someone know by measuring with teaspoons/tablespoons how much carbon and how much phosphater remover I should put in for my 29 gallon tank? The grams was tricky for me to use as a measure. ALso for putting it in place water for sure has to pass through it I want to make sure I have it in the right place. AJ do you remember where my sponge was in the middle chamber well that is where I've had my media bag too. Should I also mover the media bag over to the column we moved the sponge to???

6. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The idea of the media bag is to put it someplace where you force the flow to go thru the bag. Water will always take the path of least resistance and if given other ways to flow, it will bypass your media bag. As to where to put it, I'm not familar enough with the BioCubes to know what a good place for that would be. Who else has a BioCube 29 that could recommend good placement for a media bag?
    As for amount to use, I would look on the jar to see what they recommend.  If no recommendations are given, I would use the information from Bulk Reef Supply that I sent you before.

--AJ

7. smw0522

smw0522 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The jar dosage goes by grams which is what your directions also went by. Only problem is I don't have a scale to measure grams so was hoping someone would be able to tell me a measure I could use a little easier like how many teaspoons or tablespoons of Phos Ban and premium activated carbon they would put into a 29 gallon. And yes if anyone has a biocube I'd love to know which chamber you put your media bag in for it to get the best flow through it.

8. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have a scale that you can weigh it on if you want to bring it by some time. Otherwise you can just buy one. We use ours for all sorts of things. They are about $25 on Amazon. This is the one that we have. http://www.amazon.com/Escali-Primo-Digital-Multifunctional-Chrome/dp/B0007GAWRS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1258950350&sr=8-1

--AJ

9. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    Grams cannot be converted to teaspoons/tablespoons in this situation.   A gram is a weight and tsp/T is a volume.  For example 1tsp salt weighs more than 1tsp dried onion.  If you are using BRS's Rox 0.8 carbon, use 1 T of carbon for every 10 gals.  You can monitor your water clarity and contaminates, then adjust accordingly.  BRS suggests you replace it every 2 weeks or when the water begins to yellow, etc.
    I believe BRS has instructions for the GFO as well as a reef calculator.  Depending on which GFO you are using will most likely depend on the amount.  GFO, like carbon, are made from different materials, composition (surface area), etc. so will be used (ie., amount) and spent (ie., need replacing) differently.  Most GFO is 'color changing' so some people use that as a guide for replacing...that is not the best way to determine when to change out the GFO.  Testing the water is a more accurate method and, more cost-conscious way.   Happy reefing![​IMG]

10. smw0522

smw0522 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, math has never been my strong suit. I was looking through what I have and found my Phospure. I googled it to find the correct amount and it said 1 Tbs per 25 gallon. Yay, a measurement I can understand without having to worry about borrowing or buying a scale. Anyways I think I've been putting way too much in!!!! I thought the more I put in the better chance I'll have of doing away with my problem. oops. So in the future I may decide I want to go back to my premium carbon and my PhosBan which I still have some of and if I do that then I'll decide what to do about the scale.
    I did post on RC in the nano forum thinking I'd get some info on the best place in the 29 gallon oceanic biocube to put my media bag but no replies yet. every 2 weeks sounds good at least for a starting point.

Thanks!!!!

11. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    You're welcome, SMW!