1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Canopy fan recommendations?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RobynT, Aug 29, 2008.

1. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would like recomendations for installable fans for my hood that are reliable and quiet. I am using some fans that came with my old hood and it sounds like a jet taking off when they are started up. I currently have 6 fans on the top of the canopy (6 ft long) Currently my tank is so quiet that I have to get close to it to make sure it's running, that is UNTIL the fans come on.
    Help!!

2. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would recomend the AC fans from grainger that look just like computer cooling fans.

They are powerful and quiet. THats what I had in my old lighting setup.

3. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Icecap make some good fans, and they have a built in thermostat...

4. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I second the Grainger... might shop around for a 120V cooling fan are easy to find can find just about any CFM and db combination you want w/or w/out thermostats.

5. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I like the DC ones the best. With a ntc thermistor and a cheap transformer they'll speed up and slow down on there own. The ac ones are just on or off.
    A few things to quiet the ones you have down are.
    1, put some little rubber washers or O'rings around the mountung screws and just snug them up to the canopy.
    2, point the fans all inward. having them point outwards can cause some salt creep on them and make the imbalanced.
    3, make sure you clean them.

6. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I second the ice cap fans. They are variable speed and very quiet. The only time I ever heard mine was in the summer with the Halides and VHOS running, the little thermostat speeds them up as the temp rises. You should also be able to get by with less of them as they can speed up and save money when they slow down.

Anyone reading this should follow Ben's advice on fans set up though. I know the physics make sense on a push pull fan system, but like he said salt creep destroys the fan that blows out and makes it very LOUD.

7. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Travis that little thermostat thingy is a ntc thermistor. Thermistors are just a fancy resistor that increases or decreases voltage based on temp.  You can get all the parts for a fan that does the samething as icecaps for like $20 at radio shack. At least you could 5 years ago.   I have an icecap fan too and really like it. 

8. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hmmm $20 is a much nicer price tag... I might have to look into just wiring some together.