1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Canister Filters

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bela, Jul 19, 2009.

1. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Looking at what kind of canister filter to get for my 150 build. I am new to canister filters (as in I have never used one) so I have no idea what to get. Any suggestions (with reasons why you like them) would be ghreat.[script removed]

2. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I dont have a really good answer.

I have been looking for one too. I seen one that had a pleated filter on the outside & a place to put carbon on the inside.

3. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    One question... Do you have a sump?

4. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Second question: Why do you want one?

5. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I third the Second question. they can be handy to run from time to time to help polish the water and what not but really not a neccesity (sp) just a nitrate trap to continue to run all the time. and YES YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE A SUMP!!! even if you say no you are going to have one :) haha i will actually be having my 55 available soon

6. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By jtesdall on 07/20/2009 03:05 PM
    Second question: Why do you want one?
    That is kind of where I was going...  now that I have a sump over a canister filter/HOB I would never look back.  Great place for a filter sock and really any media you might want to run.

7. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey thanks for all the replies. I am actually quite happy to be reading these replies, as I didn;t REALLY want a canister filter, but the guy that sold me the tank said it would be a good idea, so I was going off of how he had it set up. I will most certainly have a sump and refugium. Will probably be a 50g rubbermaid sump and a 25-ish gallon refugium. I wasn;t ever considering replacing a sump/refugium with the canister filter, but rather having the canister as an addition. By the sound of it I won't need that? If so that is pretty cool, I should be near ready to start filling her up! :)

8. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    FWIF I do not have one - Now I am fairly new to this reef thing but my 120 is doing just fine with a washable filter sock off ebay as mechanical filtration and media as needed. I think you will find many that run the same way. Again I am far from an expert!

9. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i run with no filter sock or canister filter. My next sump will have a filter sock though as i get alot of crap on the bottom of my sump i have to vaccum out with a maxijet once a month or so. but a filter sock is your best mechanical filtration with a sump IMO

10. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What do you all use for carbon and such?

11. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't run carbon all that often. MAYBE once a month but I use a 'media bag' and place it in my filter sock.

GFO I have a phosphate reactor.

12. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i run carbon and GFO in a reactor, time to take the carbon out though. Bulk Reef supply has a good selection of carbon and GFO and in different sizes for different filters. I have the bulk reef supply reactor and have had no complaints with it works really well. basically is just a Refillable DI canister with 1/2" jon/gusset fittings installed and tada reactor :)