1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Can someone look at my parameters - need some experts!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gb387, Nov 23, 2008.

1. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Can someone look at my most recent parameters.  Right now I am using Instant Oceans salt and finishing what little I have left then I am changing over the Reef Crystals. 
    I would like some ideas and help on keeping everything should be...  will changing to RC bring my calcium and mag up?
    If you see some problem let me know.
    I have bought some new test kits (API for everything but PH, Mag and Alk those three are RedSea) and I am now keeping track of everything much more closely and documenting everything.   
    Here they are (cut and paste from excel):

Date Tested
      Recommended

11/23/2008

Calcium (ppm)
    380-450 ppm

Alkalinity (meq/L)
    2.5-4

***=xl79 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">2.0

Salinity (sg)

Temperature (F)
    76-83

pH
    8.1-8.3

Magnesium (ppm)
    1250-1350 ppm

e=Calibri>1100

Phosphates (ppm)
    < 0.03 ppm

Ammonia (ppm)
    < 0.01 ppm

Nitrate (ppm)
    < 0.02 ppm

Nitrite (ppm)
    < 0.02 ppm

2. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Reef Crystals will make your mag and calcium go up.   Other than that it's about the same as I/O.
    Reef Central Salt Test

3. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    You should consider dosing 2 part solution. Those Cal/Alk readings are really low. Mag needs to be raised too.

Be careful when dosing because you're PH is already high.

-JB

4. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You might want to try topping off with limewater to get the calcium and alkalinity up. It depends to on what you keep in your tank. If it's just softies and zoanthids, the calcium isn't as important. I use RC and really, I didn't notice a huge difference in my calcium levels after I switched.
    Yes, be careful if you use limewater, as it can raise your pH......

5. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    There are two different two part dosing recipes. One increases your pH slightly and the other lowers it slightly. Pick the one that works best in your situation. Probably the one that lowers it /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gif

6. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The dosing is where I am getting lost - just don't know where to start. The October meeting really helped, now that I have working test kits I have something to work with.

7. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Here is your additive bible...

Use the Chemestry calculator on this page to determine doeses and everything for your exact supplements...

http://reef.diesyst.com/flashcalc/flashcalc.html

Get alkalinity and Calcium in the red box and the Magnesium in the zone below it...
    I wouldnt worry about pH as long as those 3 are in balance.
    eins

8. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By einsteins on 11/23/2008 07:41 PM
    Here is your additive bible...
    Use the Chemestry calculator on this page to determine doeses and everything for your exact supplements...

http://reef.diesyst.com/flashcalc/flashcalc.html

Get alkalinity and Calcium in the red box and the Magnesium in the zone below it...
    I wouldnt worry about pH as long as those 3 are in balance.
    eins
    Wow - Huh, I have done lots of reading and looked over that site as well tonight.  My eyes are buggin out from tonight's reading so I will have to give everything a look over tomorrow its seems overwhelming. 
    [​IMG]

9. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The biggest thing is not to change things drastically. Bring up your Ca/Alk/Mg levels slowly over about a weeks time, not all at once. I also think that your PH of 8.4 is possibly inaccurate with that low of an alkalinity...unless you are topping off with limewater already. I would also suggest bringing down the temp to about 78-79.

You'll get it, it takes time. It is overwhelming at first.

10. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By lee on 11/23/2008 08:43 PM
    The biggest thing is not to change things drastically. Bring up your Ca/Alk/Mg levels slowly over about a weeks time, not all at once. I also think that your PH of 8.4 is possibly inaccurate with that low of an alkalinity...unless you are topping off with limewater already. I would also suggest bringing down the temp to about 78-79.
    You'll get it, it takes time. It is overwhelming at first.
    I just installed two new heaters and I am working on getting the adjusted down a little more.   No I am not topping with limewater, I will retest tonight and see what I get.

11. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Using the 'calculator', seems there are a 100 different options to correct my calcium and mag. 
       [​IMG]

12. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome.. TO Tank Hood!!! WHOOHAHA..[​IMG]

13. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Actually you enter your current parameters....then below that you enter your desired parameter, then below that you select the product that you want to use to raise the parameter to the desired number you put in.

Then at the bottom of the calculator you click on the appropriate SUBMIT button and a second window opens up with the amount of the selected product needed to raise your tank to the Desired level.

Hope that clarifies it for you...

eins

14. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Excuse me for being so stupid....

OK, now I have ton tons of reading. Seems that I need a way to dose... in the form of a dosing pump for best results correct?

I do not have a dosing pump as of yet, that said is there a way I can use just the top off water say every 2-3 days and also add whats needed at the same time? reading on various message boards Limewater comes to mind- Maybe I am way off here!?!?

15. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Excuse me for being so stupid....

OK, now I have ton tons of reading. Seems that I need a way to dose... in the form of a dosing pump for best results correct?

I do not have a dosing pump as of yet, that said is there a way I can use just the top off water say every 2-3 days and also add whats needed at the same time? reading on various message boards Limewater comes to mind- Maybe I am way off here!?!?

16. kgehrke

kgehrke Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    A drip line will work. Just tie knots in some airline tubing until you get the drip you want. Dosing pumps are $$$. Check your mixed water before throwing it in. You might have a bad batch of Crystals. I have had 2 where the calcium was 300, and the mag was super low too. Good news is that you can get a new bucket if it is bad.

17. billbigsbe Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hey whats up! Give me a call and come over, I have a ton of IV drip bags! Also I have 2part that you can try out. Dave

18. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By billbigsbe1 on 12/07/2008 08:31 AM
    Hey whats up! Give me a call and come over, I have a ton of IV drip bags! Also I have 2part that you can try out. Dave This is kind of a busy week, for me.  I would like to stop by sometime maybe later in the week?  Is that possible?  

19. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes, IVs work great. I got a ton from a medical supply place for cheap. You could also spend 5x as much on a Kent Auqa dose, or 10x as much on a set of dosing pumps.