1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Calling All Reefers - Top 15 Most Desireable Corals

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Madjabjoe, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Madjabjoe

Madjabjoe Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hi everyone,
    I would like to try and compile a list of the top 15 most desireable hard corals (SPS or LPS) and outfit my tank with them in the next few year. With any luck I would like to be able to frag them and sell them off but I guess I'm not sure what corals are in demand so I thought I would check with all of you first. Please let me know your thoughts...
    Thanks, Joe

2. Shaun

Shaun Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I enjoy hammer and spiny cup coral

3. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Joe, just hit some of the online vendors, the ones that are the most expensive are the ones you want.

;-)

4. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The popular corals of today are not going to be the popular corals of 2-3 years from now. Case in point, Acans used to be hard to sell 5-6 years ago as did SPS corals.

5. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    To answer you question Joe, If there was one coral that I could get for my tank, and not haft to pay for it. The Bubble Gum Monster Chalice. Not the Mummy Eye Chalice, but a true Bbble Gum Monster.

6. kgehrke

kgehrke Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The limited edition chalices are super expensive. Like $200-300 from retailers for less than an inch. Anything that has Tyree in the name is expensive too. There is a bunch of sps named after the guy. Purple people eaters are popular, some go for $50 a polyp from retailers. Good luck finding some of this stuff though lol. Take lots of pictures if you do.

7. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    1. meteor shower 2. pink lemonaide acro 3. Ice fire echinata acro 4. ORA Red planet 5. ORA Plum crazy 6. ORA pearl berry 7. Tyree Watermellon chalice 8. Vivid aquariums rainbow delight 9. ROAB monti 10. monti setosa 11.Tyree undata 12. suharsoni 13. millies 14. mention all ORA's 15. favia.  16. Acans
    In all honesty outside of the people that feel they need a named coral any coral with good color is what everyone looks for.  The list of most popular corals is always changing based on the flavor of the month.[​IMG]

8. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    GRAFTED SIMPLEX!

Good luck getting one of those...
    http://www.reeffarmers.com/limitedgraftedsimplex.htm

eins

9. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sounds great in theory (buying and raising the top corals to eventually sell) but if it was that easy, everyone would be doing it. I think it's best to be selective in what you buy, but buy what you like to have in your own tank and hope to have success with them.

10. Madjabjoe

Madjabjoe Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I guess I was not thinking interms of most expensive but more so interms of easy to sell. I don't think I would want to buy a $100 dollar frag since there would be nobody willing to buy it at that price. If you have one coral that has out sold all the others that to me is a desireable coral. Thanks for all the responses thus far.

11. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well in that case. The easiest corals to sell are any brightly colored zoos.

12. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    In my opinion, I think zoas that would sell well and are hard to find would be the Alpha Omega zoas, and the Darth Maul zoas
    http://www.zoaid.com/index.php?module=Gallery2&g2_itemId=4396
    http://www.zoaid.com/index.php?modu...temId=5101
    and if you ever get these i will be your first customer[​IMG]

13. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    If you want, I can hook you up with some "Ultimate Kenya Trees" or some "Limited Edition Green Star Polyps"

:)

But seriously, I think Tavis is right... Zoa's are a good bet in general cause they are fairly easy and can be very attractive looking.

The thing about it is, no matter what you decide to grow, your local market is going to get saturated quickly with any particular coral, so you better find ways to reach outside markets...

-JB

14. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I will have to agree with Ben and say the Ice fire echinata is beautiful.

[​IMG]
    From time to time, I will save pictures of corals that I really like from various forums.  To be honest, most of them aren't even tagged as an LE or anything either...They are just really nice corals.  Here's a few examples.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Oh and the BGM isn't all that either. The mummy eye variations look better, IMHO. /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif

16. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Wow Sone, those are some wicked looking SPS colonies... I wouldn't mind having a frag of ANY of those...

-JB

17. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sone I think that 3rd one from GreenMako might be a pink lemonade or a look a like of one.   The one below that is amazing.