1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Calling all DIY Food junkies!!!!

Discussion in 'Des Moines & Ames Region' started by Bud, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Yep, here's what I have so far (reef food, unless otherwise noted):

tholton33 - 3
    pete h - 2
    sponge - 8
    beckerj3 - 2
    nik - 8 + 3 FOWLR
    Smouse - 2
    neonbender - 4
    me - 15 + 4 FOWLR
    slovan - 4
    bennyboy515 - 2
    bearsareawesome - 2
    money mike - 2
    jnjsad - 3
    ninjazx777 - 10 large/aggressive
    flyingmoray - 3 + 3 FOWLR + 3 L/A

Total at 60 bags Reef Food, 10 bags FOWLR, 13 bags Large/Aggressive.

2. mcclandy

mcclandy

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I will take 2 bags of reef.

3. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Ok folks, we're on for 10am Saturday, so far I think I have the following people committed to show up and help:

Me (duh)
    Nik
    Jeanette / beckerj3
    Joe / flyingmoray
    Brad / bearsareawesome
    Paul / pwfish

Anyone else?

Sending a PM to all on the list who want food. Reply to this thread though.

4. Tholton33

Tholton33 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I will be there Bud

5. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    I'm planning on it.  Good directions to your home Bud!  Keep your phone on for me!  lol /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/hehe.gif

6. bearsareawsome Well-Known ReefKeeper

Norwalk, IA
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Sorry bud i will not be able to make it as i have miliatry drill. Sorry guys.

7. Pete H.

Pete H. Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am planning on coming

8. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    9 people so far...that's good!

The order from Brine Shrimp Direct showed up today. Tons of frozen goodies! Plus they sent sample packs of stuff, so everyone who shows up to help will get a little gift.

9. Nik Experienced Reefkeeper

Windsor Heights
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I got the food from seascapes pe mysis, another brand of mysis and cyclopezze. I hate to say it but I will be storm chasing in Kansas more than likely. Sorry but I only get 3-4 chances a year and Sat. is lookin HOT! I will drop all food and supplies off to Bud tomorrow.

10. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default//emoticons/sad.gif Just be careful, Nik!

11. Nik Experienced Reefkeeper

Windsor Heights
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Terri. I will. /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default//emoticons/smile.gif

12. FlyingMoray Experienced Reefkeeper

Minburn, IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have something going on in the morning but should be there no later than 11. Probably around 10:30ish though.

13. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    If anyone wants to come early, I will be starting up early. I have most of the seafood thawing in the fridge but will have to finish thawing in the morning and will need to empty 56 cube trays into ziplock bags and thaw those, as well as 5 1kg blocks of Daphnia, 14 lb of scallops, and 23 lb of shrimp. I see a bathtub filled with seafood in my future.

I will probably be up by 7 but don't call or come over until after 8. I have to make a run around to Hy-vee stores in search of a little more scallops. Slight oversight there....

14. Pete H.

Pete H. Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for setting all of that up Bud. I can't wait to feed my fish some of this stuff.

15. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Thanks to all who came, it again took a little longer than expected but when you make 78.5 pounds of food, it's gonna take a while!!!

I can't wait to try it either. It looks pretty green because of all the Daphnia but it gets darker as you freeze it, so we'll see how it turns out.

16. Tholton33

Tholton33 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for hosting Bud, sorry for the mess and the smell left in your garage. It was a fun time and my tank looks happier already.
    Thanks for being so thorough, it would have taken a lot longer without your planning.

17. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    No problem, it was hectic and I was running all over so I was probably a little flustered now and then, but it all worked out!

Also I forgot to blend up the oysters for the reef food. I guess I will have to DIY some Oyster Feast, gotta get me some Sodium Alganate or whatever that stuff is called...

18. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Some pics of the ingredients and the process (not many of those)

Supplements

[​IMG]

Scallops

[​IMG]

Cod

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Squid

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Krill

[​IMG]

Octopus

[​IMG]

Stuff from Brine Shrimp Direct

[​IMG]

PE Mysis

[​IMG]

Aqua Treasures Mysis

[​IMG]

Cyclops-like product

[​IMG]

Daphnia (5 bags like this)

[​IMG]

Plus 23 lb of shrimp, forgot to take a pic of that.

Didn't get any shots of the peel and chop fest, but here's mixing the reef batch

[​IMG]

Adding the Nori

[​IMG]

Measuring & Bagging

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My freezer afterwards (be glad you don't have smell-o-vision)

[​IMG]

Finished product

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I tried it, it's pretty good!

19. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    Great food/coral food.  Thanks Bud for organizing all this and getting all the food.  And thanks to your wife for putting up with the smell in your garage!!!
    We will need to start planning next month's club event!!!!
    Thanks to everyone that participated and assisted in making the food also!!!  Good to see familiar faces.