1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Calling all DIY Food junkies!!!!

Discussion in 'Des Moines & Ames Region' started by Bud, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Pete H.

Pete H. Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Put me down for two bags. That should last me a while. /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default//emoticons/smile.gif

2. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Ok here's what we have so far

Tholton33 - ??
    Pete H - ??
    sponge - ??
    beckerj3 - 2
    nik - 4
    Smouse - ??
    neonbender - ??
    me - 15 +

If I assume ?? = 2 bags, then we're at about 30 bags.

Because of the way the mixture works out, I would like to get to more like 70 bags. I know that's a lot, but this is going to be probably the best batch made to date. The way I figure it, a batch for 70 bags, each 16oz (that's 33% larger than the last 2 times we did this) is $12, and that could be stretched as far as 90 bags, each 12oz, for $9 each.

Just so you know, here's what I would "like" this batch to contain

The "typical" ingredients I already listed:
    Shrimp
    Scallops
    Squid
    Baby Octopus
    Cod
    Jumbo Krill
    Blended Oysters
    Spirulina Brine Shrimp
    Bloodworms
    PE Mysis
    NLS Pellets (back in after reading Randy Holmes-Farley's article on phosphate content of foods) (I have this already)
    Cyclops
    BRS Reef Chili
    TLF Zo Plan
    TLF PhytoPlan
    Coral Frenzy (I have this already)
    Nori
    Selcon
    Marine C
    Garlic Extreme

PLUS:

from Brine Shrimp Direct:
    Bloodworms (instead of Hikari)
    Brine Shrimp
    Spirulina Brine Shrimp (instead of Hikari)
    Rotifers
    Daphnia
    Mysis (reduce the amount of PE mysis)
    Krill (in addition to the jumbo ones from Hikari)

Additional supplements:
    Two Little Fishies Marine Snow
    Kent Coral-Vite
    H2O Life GVH Seaweed Soak

Additional veggies:
    Peas
    Broccoli
    Spinach

I have kept this stuff in my freezer and it looks the same as day one after it was frozen, so you can make this last a very long time IMO. So anyone who feeds their fish, this stuff is great.

Speak up ASAP if you want some!!

3. ninjazx777 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    are you going to make aggressive food also or just reef?

4. Tholton33

Tholton33 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ill take 2 please.

5. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Last time we did FOWLR food and large/aggressive food, and it was kind of a PITA to figure everything up. If I had to do it again, I would make them completely separate batches so the cost could be figured correctly.

That being said, is there anyone, besides Matt, who is interested in non-reef food?

The Large/Aggressive food would just be a mix of seafood with Selcon and Garlic Extreme. The cost per bag of the large/aggressive food would be much lower. Matt said he got it done on his own for about $5/bag

The FOWLR food would be everything in the reef food except the coral-specific stuff. I would think the only way we could get this done is if we didn't have enough call for the reef food. The frozen fish food from brine shrimp direct is all cubed which works out nicely for dividing up that stuff. The FOWLR food price would probably be a few bucks a bag cheaper than the Reef food, but not that much.

So I guess I'll throw that out there and we'll see what the demand is by the end of the week...

6. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would like to get 48oz. So either 3) 16oz bags or 4) 12oz bags, depending on how you bag it. Thanks for organizing this, Bud! /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default//emoticons/smile.gif

7. Nik Experienced Reefkeeper

Windsor Heights
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I need 8 reef and 3 fowlr

8. Bennyboy515

Bennyboy515

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'll take 2 please

9. bearsareawsome Well-Known ReefKeeper

Norwalk, IA
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Put me down for 2

10. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    Glad to see that everyone is interested.  Hope that the date works for everyone and that you are planning to come and participate in the preparation of the food !!!!!  Your participation is important.  The preparation goes pretty well with enough hands in the mix!!!!!!

11. bearsareawsome Well-Known ReefKeeper

Norwalk, IA
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I should be able to make it.

12. Reeferforlyfe

Reeferforlyfe Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm in the Cedar rapids area, but no one seems to want to do something like this, and they are talking about a tank tour for our next meeting... No thanks.... Is there anyway I can get included on this food? I'll pay shipping, possibly just come and pick it up depending on when you all make it?

13. Nik Experienced Reefkeeper

Windsor Heights
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Not a problem Mike, we are doing on the 14th of april (Saturday) it sounds like. It is nice to be involved, but I can ship as well.

14. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Now there's not a bit of truth in that statement.
    It has been discussed and the majority of people do want to make some. We just don't have a set date to do it. Sorry if that doesn't work out for you.

15. Tholton33

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I make trips back and forth from ames to CR every so often Mike. I'm sure something could be worked out

16. Tholton33

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I make trips back and forth from ames to CR every so often Mike. I'm sure something could be worked out

17. jnjsad

jnjsad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I'll take 3 bags if I could pick up from Teri, I think I saw her name up there. If I don't have anything going on and have the extra gas money, I'd like to participate and learn more about this.

18. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Tholton33 - 2
    Pete H - ?? (2)
    sponge - ?? (2)
    beckerj3 - 2
    nik - 8 & 3 FOWLR
    Smouse - ?? (2)
    neonbender - ?? (2) (PS I think you will need to pay dues / renew)
    me - 15 or so, plus 4 or so FOWLR possibly
    slovan - 3 or 4
    bennyboy515 - 2
    bearsareawesome - 2
    Money Mike - ?? (2) but you feed alot right? Better make it 4 or how about 8 LOL
    (edit) jnjsad - 3
    That's about 45-50 bags & 7 FOWLR. Well over halfway there!

19. Tholton33

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I was about to mention something along those lines too depending on the amount he requested haha
    ill actually take 3 bags. im contacting some out of towners to see if they would be interested 

20. Tholton33

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    would there be a way to use this to possible bring in money for the club in the future? People can participate now and get the discounted pricing, but if they were to need some later on they would have to buy it at an adjusted price? We could sell it at the FF and SF events for non members to try? Maybe a few LFS would offer it and proceeds going back to the club? Idk just some thoughts