1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Calling all DIY Food junkies!!!!

Discussion in 'Des Moines & Ames Region' started by Bud, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    I am going to run out pretty soon, I maybe have 2 months worth of the reef food and still have a few bags of FOWLR (don't seem to use those much except for Taki)
    I asked Joe yesterday and he said Central Campus is experiencing some issues and cannot have the event there for a while.
    I have a heated garage and can do it at my place again if no one else can.  Also this might be one of those "what can sponsors do" things but I guess I don't see a problem hosting an event and using my business to get better prices on ingredients, I figure between me and Seascapes we can put on a pretty good event.
    Last time we ended up making over 5g of food.  We did the Reef mix, FOWLR mix, and Large/Aggressive mix.
    Matt was the only one needing the Large mix and IIRC he went through it pretty fast.  Also it was kind of complicated to make 3 different types of food, and I think the non-reef packs got kind of shorted, so I'm thinking that if anyone wants these we should make these separate batches.
    I guess for right now pipe up if you have interest and how many bags.  For reference 1 bag is about 12 oz in a 1 qt Ziploc, when laid flat and frozen that comes out to somewhere between 1/4" and 3/8" thick and costs about $10/each, maybe $12.  You get about 2x as much for 1/2 the price of most frozen concoctions.
    Also I'm working on revamping the recipe based on some I've seen on RC and Adam Pottebaum's recipe which included frozen veggies.

2. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Also looking at really amping up the content, looking into sites like these for supplies:

http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/

http://www.jehmco.com/

http://reedmariculture.com/product_instant_algae.html

I'm seeing some pretty good prices on frozen brine shrimp, rotifers, daphnia, mysis, bloodworms, cyclop-eeze, etc...

3. Tholton33

Tholton33 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Id be willing to participate in this one.

4. Pete H.

Pete H. Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would be up for a bit of DIY food as well. (Don't need a lot, not too many fish. But would like to learn)

5. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    I should note that this will likely be a club sponsored event as it has been in the past, meaning you have to have a paid membership to participate or buy any food.

6. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    I'm in as I will be out soon too ;=0)

7. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    I'm in for this

8. Nik Experienced Reefkeeper

Windsor Heights
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I am in. Need some for Smouse and myself.

9. Tholton33

Tholton33 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    do we have a rough date of when we are trying to get this done?

10. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    I'd like to know all the ingredients that will be used in the reef batch Bud so will you be posting it?

11. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    I started this before the business meeting, the minutes of that said that they wanted to do the DIY Food in April, I think I can hold out until then. Maybe Central Campus will be available by then as well.

12. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Yeah, still working on that. Could use the extra month of time to get that all figured out an ordered. Last time we barely got the PE mysis on time

13. NeonBender

NeonBender

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I'm in. at least a few bags worth.

Michael

14. Nik Experienced Reefkeeper

Windsor Heights
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I am reviving this. We are considering Sat. April 14th at Bud's house in WDM. Is that a good day and if so how many bags do you want?

15. Pete H.

Pete H. Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am in. How much is in a bag? Not sure how much I would need but would like in. /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default//emoticons/smile.gif

16. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    IIRC it's about 12oz. For comparison, a 6 oz bag of Rod's is about $20 so you get 2x as much for $10

Also I believe this is generally considered a club event so it's members only.

17. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    I am going to try to help but it's too early yet to fully commit. I will be in for several bags as long as the ingrdients are on par for my fishees ;-0)

18. Nik Experienced Reefkeeper

Windsor Heights
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I will take at least 4.

19. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    The date works for me.  I'll be in for 2 bags

20. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Food list (typical)

Shrimp
    Scallops
    Squid
    Baby Octopus
    Cod
    Jumbo Krill
    Blended Oysters
    Spirulina Brine Shrimp
    Bloodworms
    PE Mysis
    NLS Pellets (back in after reading Randy Holmes-Farley's article on phosphate content of foods) (I have this already)
    Cyclops
    BRS Reef Chili
    TLF Zo Plan
    TLF PhytoPlan
    Coral Frenzy (I have this already)
    Nori
    Selcon
    Marine C
    Garlic Extreme

Other recipes in the club included things like

Marine Snow
    Rotifers
    Mussels
    Peas
    Broccoli
    Spinach

I started an RC thread a couple months ago and got some good ideas http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2131786

But the original recipe seemed to work fine. I am against mussels because they're dirty according to this guy

http://home.wavecable.com/~jrowe/DIY%20Fish%20Food%20Procedure.htm

"Another thing to note is that I also remove clams and mussels from the mixed seafood I get at the Asian store. The reason for this is that I don't want my fish getting a taste for clams, and both clams and mussels have a high waste to protein content. They are practically half crap."

Also the sites I posted on 2/13 in this thread had good products and I think we should add some of those. I think we will get good bang for the $.