1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Calcium supplements

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by beckerj3, Sep 6, 2008.

1. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +614 / 2 / -0
    I've got a 75 gal tank and have been using the B-ionic 2-part solution for a couple of years now to maintain calcium levels.  Has anyone read the thread on Reef central for making your own calcium supplement?  The article is by Randy Holmes-Farley.  I'm thinking of trying it.  The main ingredient is Dow Flake.  I was wondering if anyone knows where to get it locally???

2. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I copied this from the Q & A section of Bulk Reef Supply

Is Dow calcium still safe to use ?

No,  Dow has made a manufacturing change and now has elevated levels of bromide. Please be aware that Dow is repackaged into many different brand names so much of the calcium chloride you find at the hardware or pool supply stores is actually Dow. Even if you were using these with success before they may now be unsafe to use. The effects of the elevated bromide levels may not be noticed immediately and can show up after long term use.  

Bulk Reef Supply does not use any of the new Dow material in any of our products.